Do I need to change the plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to change the plug wires?

Do I need to change the plug wires? What is the indication of changing the wires as well??

Thanks in advance.

How old are the wires. Can you see evidence of arcing?
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

How many miles does the car have? If it's missing sometimes you can out at night and crank it up and look at the wires to see if it's jumping fire

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
        How old are the wires. Can you see evidence of arcing?
        Thanks towny for your reply. I bought this car 1-1/2 years back. Odometer is 180000 miles. I don't know somebody changed the wires or not.

BTW what is arcing?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          How many miles does the car have? If it's missing sometimes you can out at night and crank it up and look at the wires to see if it's jumping fire
          Thanks Brandon for your support. Odometer is 180000+ miles. When I start my car OR I stop at signal I feel increase and decrease in idling.

What do you mean by crank it up????
          You opinion will be highly appreciated..

Comment

what yr is the car? 92-97 4.6's have plug wires......98+ have coil on plug
            if its a 92-97 i would change the plug wires and give the car a full tune up if the last time it was done is unknown

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Arcing is when the wire isn't quite plugged into the coil and you can see evidence of burning on the plug and/or coil. This happened to me

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=28645

4th and 5th pic down are pics of the arcing on my coil.

This whole situation does depend on the year of the car, like Scott said.
              I had an "misfire" issue, and it was my Crank Position Sensor.
              But i would change the plugs and wires first to see if there's any difference. Atleast you would have a definite date of when the wires were changed!
              It should help, especially with 180k on the clock.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks lincolnmania and SVT98t for your support. I means I have to change the wires.

Comment

no prob mang.
                  that's what we're here for!

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                  X