Anyone Interested In Full Restorations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Interested In Full Restorations?

I was wondering who is interested in performing a complete restoration on their GM. It's something i have wanted to do for a couple of years and still need time to really plan it out. Has anyone ever done a full restoration, and what kind of tips, advice would you offer. Right now I'm in the process of restoring my floorpan with some Por15, and resealing the door and cowl seams (to stop leaks of course). I am planning on taking lots of pics to show the work in progress.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

I have! Well, kinda...more resto-mod-custom...

Eventually, i will, too...i just need a garage to put it in...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I'm not interested, I'm detirmined. I made the decision when I was 17 and now I'm 21 and only a couple years away from starting!! I'm going to do a full frame off restoration + mods, when I finish college and get a good job. I've decided it will be better for me to buy another CV that is completely rust and accident free, and start with that one. Mine has 2 things against it; 1:The frame is not perfect nor rust free. 2:Because of the amount of custom work on it, I would like to have available the strock setup and work from that.

But, untill then I'll be doing minor stuff. I'm going to fix the rusted part of the frame in the next few weeks. And I'll keep the body clean.

My plan for the new CV is to build 400+hp, at 20mpg. I wan't to build a truely efficient hot rod. I'll prolly end up using a mildly blown 5.4L.

Comment

Mine I shall fix till she's as good as practical. I'm not going to do a frame-off, but all the rust and rot shall be dealt with, I want to keep it as solid as possible. My car for as rough as it looks has a perfect frame under it, has never been involved in an accident, and aside from visible rust on the rear quarters has pretty much no other problem areas. The floorpans are perfect on both sides, and the only not-so-visible rust is a small spot underneath on the radiator support. No rust on the inside of the trunk lid either. I have found a dime-sized corrosion spot on the underside of my aluminum hood tho. I'm kinda wondering what I'll find under the hood insulation when I pull that out.

The biggest problem with doing a total resto on one of these cars is simply parts avaliability. Interior and trim parts are getting scarce, and pretty much all thats avaliable now is used stuff from other cars. So its either find good used parts, or make custom stuff. Mechanical and chassis parts aren't too much of an issue, but try finding a perfect door panel.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, interior is going to be custom. The only things that is going to be factory is the dash, and that will be moddified up a little for gauges. I found a company in Washignton state that will take the dash pad, grind it down to the hard core, add new foam and vinal...for about $300. I've talked to a few aphosters around here and they say to redo the doors in a style like they are is around $1200-$1500 for the doors and seats. However, I wan't new foam in the seats as well, so it will be more for that. Exterior won't be hard to come by, and nor will a good frame. I'll just go down to New Mexico and get on there (0 Rust)!!

Comment

I want to do a frame of restoration and make it showroom new. I'm sure it's going to be a labor of love because i know how scarce nos parts are becoming. I have been collecting parts here and there from Ebay and keep looking for more all the time. The major issue i see with the interior is all the plastics. I am quite sure the upolstery can be almost dead on matched and the the panels are that pressed board garbage anyway. Rechroming is going to be another huge hit with a car like this but necessary for good restoration. I am also looking for ways to improve on design flaws i can find in the car (such as rust issues and leaks). Today I spent four hours removing the sound-deadener backing from the floorpan, and really didn't get anywhere yet. Here is my list of things to :
            1.Remove all sound-deadener from floorpan
            2. Por15 rust on floorpan
            3. Repaint floorpan
            4. Dynamat Extreme floorpan
            5. Install new carpet padding
            6. Install carpet and seats
            7. Fix door rust (Por15) and redo seam
            8. Redo cowl seams (to fix leaks that rusted floorpan)
            9. New weatherstripping for doors (caused floorpan rust).
            10. Por15 any rust i find (I hate leaks and rust)

86" Grand Marquis LS Coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
            sigpic
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Have you checked into actual prices for re-chroming?? I don't even know where to go for that.

Comment

I've seen some quotes and they can go from low to high hundreds per piece. It also depends on what pieces you're doing and what condition they're in. Cracks, chips, and corrosion can all be fixed but will add to final cost. Also, their are cheap and expensive places and techniques you can choose, but remember you get what you pay for. The interior pieces (switches, turn signal, trim, ect.) is what i think is called vacuum plated chrome. I have no clue what the costs are for that. Searching online should help you find plenty of places to have the work done. I haven't had any pieces restored yet though.

86' Grand Marquis LS Coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
                sigpic

Comment

Very nice mang!

Your interior is in real nice shape...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My plan for the new CV is to build 400+hp, at 20mpg. I wan't to build a truely efficient hot rod. I'll prolly end up using a mildly blown 5.4L.
                    You know what. While I was at my family reunion one of my cousins fiance has a 90 mustang he brought up. This guy put some SERIOUS shit in it. Block was bored and a forged crank, rods, pistons were put in. He has Trick flow twisted wedge heads with 11:1 compression. I wasnt sure of his cam but it has over .600" lift. Holley system max intake. He has his own laptop where he flashes his computor for fuel and all that shit. MSD 7al-2 I think. The car ran 12th at the fun ford weekend at norwalk in the super street class or what ever. He has over 500+ rear wheel hp and gets 20mpg all day long. But this car will make your jaw drop! So it might be less than a blown 5.4 and certinly less work too!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

WOW, that's pretty cool! Yeah it might be kind of hard to get 20mpg with a blower

Comment

Working...
                      X