Transmission noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission noise

88 Town Car 302 / AOD. My transmission has developed a noise, at least I am almost sure it's coming from the transmission. Toward the end of the 1st gear, nearing the shift to second gear, and toward the end of second gear nearing the shift to 3rd, there is this hollow-sounding metallic rattling, and sometimes if you kinda stomp on the gas pedal a bit it goes away immediately. 1 - 2 - 3rd shifts are still pretty smooth - my 4th overdrive gear has been burnt out since I got the car, it just neutrals out once you hit overdrive speed if the selector is in OD. The fluid is brownish red and I think there may be a bit too much in there as well, because no matter how I read it, it's way up the stick, past the cross-hatched area. The TV cable is still attached at the throttle body and the tranny. I know the time for a new tranny is coming soon anyway, because I really want that 4th gear for quieter interstate travel, but I think this noise I am hearing is a sign of trouble soon to come. What do you all think? Thanks for reading!

On a side note, there is a guy locally who just pulled an AOD from a working 1988 Town Car that had engine problems, and he told me that when removed it shifted properly through all gears. I inspected the transmission, and the fluid is bright cherry red and looks gorgeous. He wants 200.00 for it, do you all think this is reasonable? I also have a mechanic friend that agreed to help me drop the pan and inspect it should I decide to buy it.

Sounds more like an RPM dependant rattle elsewhere if I had to guess. Maybe catalytic converter shields or something.

How many miles are on the used trans? If its low, and everything looks OK with the fluid and pan, its fair. If its a 150k mile worn out old clunker with brown fluid, then no.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is really no way for me to tell how many miles are on the transmission. The car it was pulled from had over 100k on it, but the fluid in the trans just looks so excellent - it makes me think it was rebuilt at one time or another.

Comment

Or it was just flushed prior to being pulled. If he says it was good and you have no reason to believe otherwise its not a bad deal though. The wrecking yard here wants around $300 for a core and $600-$1000 for a good one.
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...
        X