Timing chain Tensoners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain Tensoners.

I have a question about the timing chain tensoners (sp?).

I have heard that when they get weak you will hear a sewing machine sound from the engine. My 03 CVPI has started making a similar sound under light acceration. It won't do it at idle or under hard acceration, just light pedal at road speed. I thought the valves were making noise, but now I think it may be the timing chain.

How do I check this and how easy is the fix? I have never had a 4.6 apart before.

Edit to add the car just turned over 165000 miles.
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Anybody? Anybody at all? Bueller...bueller...
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Double check with someone who is a bit more knowledgable, but I believe that they changed the tensioner material in 02 or 03 so that you shouldn't have that problem. What you are hearing could be a bunch of things, loud injector, exhaust leak, valvetrain noise, etc., but I THINK that the tensioner is not an issue on your year.

Double check though, because I've personally seen those things last less than 2 hours running time from "that's a weird noise" to zero oil pressure.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
      X