Running crappier after plugs and wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running crappier after plugs and wires?

Ok, I just changed the plugs and wires in the GM. I noticed all 4 of the driver's side plugs where oily with one being REALLY oily. When I finished and started the car up it seemed to run sort of crappy and smoke came out of the exhaust for a few seconds after initial start up.

Is this bad news?

Ok, I think it must be a sensor or something. I just re-did the plugs and they where all gapped at like .40-.45. I used a different gap tool and gapped them. The first one I used must of been out of spec or something. The car runs better now but still hesitates when it's revved. I'm thinking TPS or something.

Comment

Are the new plugs starting to foul again? What year is this car? What did you finally set the plug gap at?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I don't think they are fouling yet. I don't have plates or anything for the car so it's not getting drove yet. I gapped them per oem specs. .052-.056.

Sometime this week I'm going to get my buddies "In Transit" plate and take it to his shop. I want him to go over the entire car anyway before we start driving it. He mentioned he thought that there is a passage under the throttle body for the EGR that gets clogged with carbon and can cause excessive tail pipe smoke, hesitation and the oil on the plugs as the restriction also causes excessive crankcase pressure.

So I'll keep everyone updated on this. I'm hoping to get it to the shop sometimes tomorrow but for sure this week.

Comment

there is a passege to the EGR from the lower intake manifold. That could be the the problem.
          Then i have to ask the obvious question, are the wires in the correct order?
          good luck!
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

yea i had a 93 towny come in to the shop i worked at years ago with a miss, piss poor fuel economy and no power.......i checked the firing order according to my book and it was right......still ran bad after the plugs and wires........something was wrong with the self test connector so i couldnt get codes out of it, so i went to the shop down the street and got them to print out some alldata stuff to help me.......whe i got back to the shop i noticed the firing order was different according to alldata so i changed it and it ran like new.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
              there is a passege to the EGR from the lower intake manifold. That could be the the problem.
              Then i have to ask the obvious question, are the wires in the correct order?
              good luck!
              That's what my buddy was saying when I dropped the car off at the shop today.

Yeah, they are 100% correct. I did one at a time and double checked with the book.

Comment

I know you checked over them, but it's REAL easy to mix up the #7 and #8 cylinder because of the wire lengths provided with most of the 'tailored' 4.6 ignition sets. If you have these cylinders mixed up, the car will run and will have the exact symptoms you posted.
                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                Modifications
                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

I believe they also changed the firing order in 95.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

With the coil packs having the numbers printed on the top, This should be an easy fix.

Comment

He said he didn't think it was a bad ring. He thinks it's coming from above the plug, which srt of makes sense I guess sense when I changed them the threads and everything where soaked with oil and it doesn't really blow smoke, except on start up sometimes. He's putting dye in the oil and is going to try and find the leak. He's looking the entire car over and said he pulled codes saying the engine was running lean on both side of the engine. He checked for vacuum leaks and nothing and said he thinks it's the maf sensor. He's going to clean that and reset the computer and see if he still gets the codes.

Comment

Here's this... Just so you can keep it for yourself.

Originally posted by Bluemobile

Comment

I'd still sure like to know what year this car is. If it's an older 4.6, it could be that the valve seals are leaky, which would cause the problem you're experiencing.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

1997 4.6 with 71,000 miles.

Comment

What plugs were used?
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X