• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp blowing fuses

What causes that?

Is an aftermarket 600 watt unit.

Blows at low volume...

Has it's own dedicated line from the battery and own designated ground.

Heavy gauge wire.

Wire to speakers is smaller than it should be...
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

maybe the fuse is too small? amp on its way out?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The fuse is 30 and it says 40, but even at low volume it pops.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Either the amp is toast, a speaker wire is shorted, or you have way too high of an ohm load on it.
        Check the Ohm specs on the amp and on the speakers if you can. How are they wired to the amp?
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

It's a custom built speaker box, no idea the ohms, but can check with a meter.

Seems odd though it blows even at low volumes.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I'd guess the amp has internal problems. Does it get warm? If one of the output transistors is shorted, it will pull a lot of current no matter what volume its set to. It will also tend to get hot.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, Thanks.

I will recheck all the wiring later and swap out to the other one I have...
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Both sides of the speaker pull only 4.4 ohms

It ran for an hour while I was working in the yard and poof it pooped first thing this morning
                Last edited by 85MercPark; 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM.
                2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

if it runs and then randomly pops then the amp is toast. best to replace it before it becomes a fire hazzard.
                  What happened here?

Comment

Consider it replaced..

Thanks
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

bad grounding!!! and too small of a fuse you need at least a 40 most likely 50 amp! had that issue my self!
                      Sellin off toys... need money for the dodge!

Comment

Ray, are you talking about the fuse in the amp or the fuse in your power wire? What type of fuse is it?

on a side note, its a bad idea to increase the size of the fuse in the amp itself... most all Ive seen use 30 amp fuses, even the high power amps Ive seen just have multiple 30 amp fuses...
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

also possible that one or both speakers are blown, where the voice coil is worn and shorts at a certain spot.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

that wouldnt really cause the amp to blow fuses left and right. if its blowing in line fuses its a short in the connection, if its the amp fuses being blown then its an internal problem. do not replace them with larger fuses, thats a disaster waiting to happen.
                            What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              Ray, are you talking about the fuse in the amp or the fuse in your power wire? What type of fuse is it?

on a side note, its a bad idea to increase the size of the fuse in the amp itself... most all Ive seen use 30 amp fuses, even the high power amps Ive seen just have multiple 30 amp fuses...
                              good call on that...
                              both amps i have (old skool fosgate comp) and a soundstream tarantula dont have in amp fuses so i had totally forgot about those! thats what you guys get for using cheap amps!
                              Sellin off toys... need money for the dodge!

Comment

Working...
                              X