6x9 speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6x9 speakers

I need new speakers for the rear shelf of the car. My current 6x9 inc pioneers arent cutting it anymore (they arent the greatest). Anywho, what are some good 6x9 speakers that have good mid range, but also have good bass (Im trying to avoid subs). I have heard nothing but good things for the Infinity Kappas, and im leaning towards those. Anyone else have good speakers that cost less than 150 bucks?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

if you want good sounf you pay what you get personally im not big on infinity speakers, the amps are pretty bitchen, probably cuase i have a nice one pushing a oldshool fosgate and it hits pretty nice for what it is. the best actual speaker i have heard to date is the polk audio DB series they not only hit nice but mids and highs are rockin too.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I actually liked the Infinitys I tried..not in the car tho just in the shop.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i love my volfenhaugs! loud and sound amazing
        What happened here?

Comment

I wonder how the JL's 6x9 sound ?

I read they are good god dam speakers but i dont know...

would any one know?
          1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
          1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
          1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
          1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

I know little about speakers overall, but a car I did some work on a few years ago got a pair of Alpines of some description. I'm not finding a set online offhand (they came with a distinctive spoked-looking grille), but I want to say they weren't even that expensive, under $90 for the pair. And when hooked to a run of the mill Alpine CD headunit on the test bench, just one speaker put out enough sound to fill the shop, and it sounded good too. As installed in the car, it had the two Alpine 6x9s in boxes and four or six Infinitis up front ... tons of great sound with no need for fancy amps or subs. (Supposedly the customer had specified that he didn't want or need a sub, because he planned to use the system primarily to listen to Cubs games!)
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

listen to them before you buy them. it depends on how you want the system to sound. if you want just a little bit of tight punchy bass, i would still suggest a small sealed 8" sub with a few hundred watts powering it. if you want thunderous bass, then you need bigger drivers and more power. 6x9's sound great for mids and highs, but their shape makes them distort (both their shape and the sound) with moderate bass.
              What happened here?

Comment

/\ what he said... my amps have the filters set so that no interior speakers try to reproduce the lower end bass that the subs handle. I have some decent Kenwood plain dual-cone 6x9's in the deck and it sounds great cranked up high. Tweeters on the B-pillars take care of the missing highs...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
                  if you want thunderous bass, then you need bigger drivers and more power. 6x9's sound great for mids and highs, but their shape makes them distort (both their shape and the sound) with moderate bass.
                  +1.

Which is why I recommend using the exact same size, brand and type of speakers in the rear deck as the doors, especially if you desire to have a proper sound stage and imaging. There is a member on here with hand-made adapters to put 6-1/2S speakers into the oval holes in the rear deck.

That being said I have some Infinity Reference speakers that sound great (for the money). Not good for bass, though, so a smaller 8" or 10" sub would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    I know little about speakers overall, but a car I did some work on a few years ago got a pair of Alpines of some description. I'm not finding a set online offhand (they came with a distinctive spoked-looking grille), but I want to say they weren't even that expensive, under $90 for the pair. And when hooked to a run of the mill Alpine CD headunit on the test bench, just one speaker put out enough sound to fill the shop, and it sounded good too. As installed in the car, it had the two Alpine 6x9s in boxes and four or six Infinitis up front ... tons of great sound with no need for fancy amps or subs. (Supposedly the customer had specified that he didn't want or need a sub, because he planned to use the system primarily to listen to Cubs games!)
                    bench testing is different from actual listening conditions. there are many factors to consider. your shop probably doesnt have a lot of soft surfaces in it such as seats and cloth and carpet. speaker boxes do not sound the same as door panels or free air applications, which the rear deck is. you also need to account for road, wind, and engine noise. all of these things detract from the sound quality. find a pair of speakers that sound good to you, they dont have to be fancy or expensive. they dont need to look pretty or have fancy grills. most of us will be putting them in the stock locations with the factory grills. if you plan on having a sub of any kind, use some form of crossover network to keep the bass from reaching the speakers. they should get the midbass and highs, and your subs should get the lower register. if you dont have subs and dont plan on having any, dont worry about it. if you do install a crossover without a sub you will be missing out on a lot of your music.
                    What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                      Which is why I recommend using the exact same size, brand and type of speakers in the rear deck as the doors, especially if you desire to have a proper sound stage and imaging. There is a member on here with hand-made adapters to put 6-1/2S speakers into the oval holes in the rear deck.
                      Oooh, so is that why you did that? I had been planning on tossing those speakers in the doors with my $40 6x9s in the back if I ever get around to hooking up a stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
                        bench testing is different from actual listening conditions.
                        True, but there's no need to take that into account unless you're one of these crazy high-end stereo snobs. What with road noise and everything, my (limited) experience is that el cheapo components selected on the basis of price are more than good enough for car use.

Comment

agreed, but i am a snob when it comes to my car audio. i have more than enough power and sound in my car. it really depends on how the system will be used and what the listener prefers. just pick a pair of speakers that sounds good to you and install them and enjoy!
                          What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                          X