What cam should I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cam should I go with?

I was trying to figure out the best cam to get for my friend. he has have gt40 intakes and heads with 65mm tb and 19lb injectors. he is doing a mass conversion. Whats your suggestions on a cam? he wants around 300hp...or close to it. he was thinking trickflow stage one? What you guys think?

More importantly than what cam would make power, what vehicle/trans/rearend combo will it be propelling? Lots of power up top will be useless on a heavy street car with tall gears. This is important to consider, as it'll take a pretty big cam to make 300hp with unported F3ZE heads.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      More importantly than what cam would make power, what vehicle/trans/rearend combo will it be propelling? Lots of power up top will be useless on a heavy street car with tall gears. This is important to consider, as it'll take a pretty big cam to make 300hp with unported F3ZE heads.
      Exactly.. you need low end power/torque to get the heavy arse car moving!
      power over 5000/5500 RPM is pretty much useless.

it's also important to know which pistons are in the engine. stock, cast pistons have a slight dish and NO valve reliefs. so an aftermarket cam with lift over .500" will cause problems (ie piston to valve contact) even more so with the larger exhaust valve in the GT40 heads... regardless which cam you use, upgraded valve springs are a REQUIREMENT.

If he is indeed converting to MAF, then the FRPP E cam should work.... provided the valve springs are upgraded.
      ANY cam you decide to install, I would advance 4 degrees to move the power band in the lower RPMs.

Of course a properly matched Torque converter and rear gear to compliment the cam are going to help get the car moving that much faster.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Custom camshaft. It will cost a little more money but it's worth it, trust me.

I can lead you to an excellent custom cam grinder and tell you how to get a discount from him too if you'd like.

Comment

Only a little? I thought custom hydraulic rollers started around $350 or more. The usual off the shelf suspects cost more like $250 max, and lots of Panther guys get by for near free by reusing factory cams that suit them.

Comment

$300 with my discount through Jay Allen at camshaft innovations, something like 325ish without the discount.

The $350+ custom stuff is the billet custom cams, which for a little 300hp GT40 headed motor really wouldn't be worth the extra expense.

So when you think about it, the E303 cam, which imo is garbage, is what like $210? for an extra $90 you'll get something far superior that was ground for your car, weight, usage, cubic inch, cylinder heads, exact rpm range you want, and the kicker, for the guys that like sleepers, if you tell him, he can get it to idle like factory. $90 well spent if you ask me.

There is no OTS (off the shelf) cam that can be perfect for everyone's application, there are good matches, but a custom cam suited to your needs will always be more ideal. The TFS Stage I the op mentioned isn't a bad cam.

And as far as 300hp, yes its doable. With a GT40 intake and that small of a throttle body it will be tough though.
            Last edited by Outlaw440; 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Interesting, hadn't realized the E303 was selling for that much. Not that I'd personally consider running one, but still.

I do very much like the idea of big power that idles like stock. Just hard to think in the $hundreds range for someone who's never invested more than $240 in an entire cam/spring/retainer package (and was majorly bummed at having to spend an extra $40ish on longer pushrods!). :p
              Last edited by 1987cp; 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Interesting, hadn't realized the E303 was selling for that much. Not that I'd personally consider running one, but still.

I do very much like the idea of big power that idles like stock.
                There's a 'baby Crower' cam that idles like stock....but it has over .500 lift...

Comment

what about a crane 2030 cam saw it suggested on corral what you guys think of that cam
                  sigpic
                  1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
                    what about a crane 2030 cam saw it suggested on corral what you guys think of that cam
                    444221 .... isn't that the one advertised specifically for use with 1.7:1 rocker arms?

At first I thought you were referring to the 444231 (CompuCam # 2040), which is identical to the FRPP E303.

Comment

yeah well maybe use 1.7 rrs too and this cam...personaly if your not going for final build of motor i would do ho cam advance timing and than put some 1.7 or 1.6 rr in with new vavle springs it should be good for now
                      sigpic
                      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Unless you are going with a big stall converter and 3.73 or lower gears, go with an HO cam or an explorer cam.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

how big is a big stall converter 2500?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
                            saw it suggested on corral
                            Without even looking at the cam specs i see problem number one.

Comment

haha i know there alot of haters for our cars over there but sometimes they help lol like buying things from me or finding cheap parts for me to buy like my intakes and soon to be heads
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X