Bushings on the top of rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushings on the top of rear shocks

Thanks to all here for the insight on how to get my old shocks off. Very helpfull! Great info, now when installing the rears in a 1993 Panther do the 2 bushings both go on top of the mounting bracket or one above one below? OEM only had only one bushing on the top? I put the new ones in the same was and one is rattling like crazy. Also should I crank the top nut as tight as possible?

Definitely do one above and one below, that's how the bayonet shock absorbers work. You'll probably want to go ahead and crank them down good and tight .... for fronts where there's more clearance, it actuall works OK to go ahead and run the nuts on with an impact wrench and let off once the bushings have compressed a good bit. There's probably a factory torque spec, though, if you want to get technical (and have a way to measure torque up there right under the floorpans).
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Ah, that is what I suspected. I did them at night after working my second job and probably didn't take the time to look at how they were attached to begin with. Like a dope I tossed out the bussings I didn't need, I'm sure they have some for short money at the closest auto parts store. Thanks 1987CP

Comment

If they don't, I'm about 90% sure you can use sway bar endlink bushings for this.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yup set came with shock bushings and end link bushings - your right in a pinch either would work. Thanks guys off to the body section / chassis to see if there is a plugged drain in the body that could be contributing to the rear passenger floor panel flooding....

Comment

Working...
          X