Got my springs done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my springs done

After waiting for so long to do my springs (convert to 2004 springs) we did them yesterday and it makes a hell of a difference. We tried to do the seal on the tail of the tranny but we just cant get those bolts off where the driveshaft meets the rear end..
    99 Crown Vic PI
    |KittieFind.com - Your Source For Kitties and Cats - Forums, Classifieds, Blogs and Much more!|

Mods:
    Marauder Corners, Meg Non-Resonated Tips, Dual Delta Flowmaster 40s, Honeycomb grill, Lin Cont Console And Shifter, Blacked out rears,.. LTD Treatment

What do I have for sale?
    -Jon

We tried to do the seal on the tail of the tranny but we just cant get those bolts off where the driveshaft meets the rear end..
    When I did my driveshaft I had the same problem. What I did was get the bottom two then put the trans in neutral and rolled the car back just a little. So the bolts that were on top are now on bottom.
    -Michael

Comment

It takes quite a bit or torque to get them off. A 250ft*lb impact wouldn't get mine off. I had to use the 3' breaker bar, and still had to give it my all.

Comment

lol I thought you meant you couldn't get to them.

Yes, they were a little tough, but nothing I couldn't handle.
        -Michael

Comment

Springs are a bitch to do... I am not one to know much... but I help Chris when he was doing his and fuck that shit man... that took forever and lots of things got thrown in walls and at me (no jk) but man there was lots of anger in that barn!

Comment

Rear springs??

I did mine in my parking lot with jackstands and a POS jack...

Here's marcus teaching everyone the WRONG way to do it..
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

are all models springs a real bitch, or just the Aero-boxes? I am going to have to get to mine soon............

Comment

The rear springs on my vic were easy to swap.
                -Michael

Comment

front springs are the hard ones... and the dangerous ones...

my rear springs came out after taking loose the bottom shocks and lowering the axle housing down.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Fronts are somewhat tricky. The rears are a half hour job. Jack the car up, put it on stands, jack up the axle, take off the lower shock mount, and lower the axle, pop the spring in...
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

It was the front springs when I put the polly bushings in, what a whore on my towny. Other cars went great but the towny was a whore. I got rear bags biatches :guns:
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                        front springs are the hard ones... and the dangerous ones...

my rear springs came out after taking loose the bottom shocks and lowering the axle housing down.
                        Yep you got it! Takes longer to get the tools out and put them away.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                          It was the front springs when I put the polly bushings in, what a whore on my towny. Other cars went great but the towny was a whore. I got rear bags biatches :guns:
                          WTF did you do wrong, you jack up the frame, put a stand in there, move the jack to under the a-frame-lower cntl arm, remove the pinch bolt from the upper ball joint, if you have abs, I would disc the wire to the sensor, anyway, just slowly let the jack down all the way, take a walk away just incase you fubared something and the spring wants to go for a fly. When the jack is down all the way, you should be able to just lift them out. of course you have to remove the tire, and the shock first.

Comment

Jiroc-

The energy that is stored in an automobile coil spring, especially one in a full-sized car like ours can kill you.
                            I never understood how people removed springs without a spring compressor. I know it's possible, but I've seen too many horror shows over the years...

BTW, the rear springs are so easy it's a joke. The fronts are a PITA, but that's using a spring compressor. If that spring "wants to go for a fly", the potential danger is VERY great, the spring will go right into/through a thin wall, a person, any property around, etc.
                            Everybody has different ways to do things, but please, God, be careful, we'd hate to lose someone on account of something like that.

Good Day
                            1993 GM LS 244K
                            29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
                            All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

:stupid:

Dont fuck with them. Horrer story follows...

Had a customer who need his controle arm bushing replaced, he refused to pay the labor to do it. So he tried to do it himself. A week later the car shows up on a truck, and need to be fixed. The engine bay got really screwed up, and the person... A broken collar bone, broken jaw, and a bruised rib.

Comment

Working...
                              X