Single to dual exhaust....intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single to dual exhaust....intake?

Hey guys, great forum here! I got some decent interior mods, and am getting into the running of the car now.

I have the 4.6 V8 SINGLE exhaust for some reason. I have been told that going to a decent dual exhaust and adding an intake will give me around 40hp. IF this is true, thats all Im really gonna do for now....DOWN DOWN the road when this engine goes, I would like to put a 351W or a 5.0 in it.

Guess my question here is, do you guys have any recommendations for going from single to dual exhaust? Performance is obviously more important to me than sound. Its a V8....Im sure a good exhaust will sound decent regardless.

Sorry for the rambling....REALLY stoned right now...lol

Thoughts?

also read around about some intersceptor and maurader mods, chips....new to engine mods....but I wanna go fast!...lol
    So any suggestions towards that would be awesome...not asking for yall to do the work for me, just if anything pops to the top of your head, lemme know, or where I should look...

thanks again

Comment

I had a custom shop do a straight pipe dual exhaust with x-pipe on my Grand Marq. for a pretty good price... $200-250ish (it was almost 2 years ago I cant really remember). Sounds pretty good, but its a bit loud inside. I'm looking to go to glasspacks. But I'd recommend finding a smaller exhaust shop to do it, and just pick your muffler.

Or keep your eyes out for a HPP/Police exhaust set up. What year is your car?
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Switch rear gears...Check your driver's door-jam for the code (IE:Y-code= 3.08 ratio) A 3.55, 3.73 or even 4.10 ratio will give you more go.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Its a 94, dunno if it accepts the cop mods, as I am new to the panthers and I think the code is 'Y'. SOunds like a plan with the dual straight pipes and just add mufflers. No emission laws in FL, was gonna go straight pipe, but not if its too loud.

thanks for your help guys!

Comment

would junk yards likely have the exhaust stuff there? Or do they junk cop cars somewhere else... I need to get the exhaust and intake doen FIRST I think....then get to the chips n bullshit, unless we jsut go with a 251 windsor
            And do I have to switch out headers too? Is there enough of a gain to warrant that?
            good vibes
            Last edited by whiskeytango420; 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

If you take the cats out I'd surely put in a muffler. It shouldn't throw a code cuz its a 94. If you ran it totally straight it'd probably sound like shit. How loud you are looking for?

They junk old interceptors (that have been purchased by the public) and taxis have the duals. I'm not sure about the fit, but maybe if you could find a interceptor exhaust and it isnt a bolt on and exhaust shop could use that to make it work...save you a bit.
              I probably wouldnt mess with manifolds/headers not enough gain on a lightly modified 4.6

But K&N and exhaust is where I started. It helps a little, but it's not gonna make it fast... I have a Marauder MAF/intake but have to get a tuner/chip to make that work, and that wont add too much power.

The gears are really what helps. So look in to that for speed.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

If I switched to the interceptor exhaust, would I get the same gain as if I just had 2.5in straight pipes to two lil mufflers, or an aftermarket X or Y pipe and added a weee muffler? I dont want too loud. More concerned with performance than sound. If the interceptor exhaust is comperable in power increase to $2000 aftermarket kits, then shit yeah Ill use em! Would rather be quieter, just dont want to sacrifice hp for quiet. and should I just get the norm cold air straight pipe with cone filter intake?
                And I hear I can get the cop "chip" too, that supposedly makes a HUGE gain. as well as some kinda O2 sensor attachment good for 11hp.
                I know alot of questions here, and I sincerely thank anyone who actually answers them, lol.
                Just new to the panther world, and have fallen in love! Got the sound covered for sure, now I want the performance...lol. Not gonna bother going to a 302 or a 351 windsor...uprading this will be all I need.
                THEN come the rims and tires Ill be the sleeper panther yall see cruisin florida....heh

be easy guys!

Comment

p.s.
                  DEFINTELY takin the cats out...

Comment

I just put my cats in. legal reasons.
                    But i did just stick dual exhaust under the tank. 2 new cats, h-pipe, 2 thrush turbo mufflers and tailpipes. I weld on the Marauder tips this weekend. It has a nice rumble right now.
                    This "cop chip" you speak of is the ECU from the interceptor. And as i recall, unless anyone can (and will) correct me, not really worth it.
                    Don't F with your O2 sensors.
                    As intakes go, you can get a K&N drop filter which i think is a waste of money. I made my own thats aluminum. Like:

Rear gears are a definite way to increase seat of the pants acceleration and feel. A chip of tune isn't going to help much. you dont have an OBDII system, and that really helps with the whole tune/chip thing. OBDII is only on cars 1996 and newer. gears, exhaust, throttle body, under drive pulleys are a start. you can also do the PI heads and intake swap later on. ( I'm planning over the winter to do it)
                    Also, the J-mod will help your transmission in shifting. And it's virtually free. I install mine wednesday.
                    Any other questions, please ask!

There are a bunch of sites that provide performance parts to our cars.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks SVT! Lots of good info there. Was hoping to get away with doing exhaust intake and gears only anyway, looks like i will!
                      Being in FL and not needing cats, (no emission laws) would I just get a bolt on (from the headers I am assuming) Hpipe and a couple mufflers? They can be any mufflers that fit the 2.5in Hpipe, or whatever size it is yeah? Sorry for the ignorance man, just about ready to start on the performance end of the car, and wanna make sure I dont do more than I have to. Just want 30+hp, nothing to crazy. Sounds covered, paint and feet...car may be lookin proper!
                      thanks again SVT!

good vibes

Comment

I'm planning on building a solid 300HP motor for this car over the winter.

The exhaust pipe should be 2". My h-pipe i just bought was 2". I think you should avoid anything bigger that 2.5" because you will lose the scavenging effect of the exhaust and will end up losing power.

a few good sites to check out.
                        www.adtr.net
                        www.innovativeinterceptors.com
                        www.blueovalindustries.com
                        www.reinhartautomotive.com
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                          I'm planning on building a solid 300HP motor for this car over the winter.

The exhaust pipe should be 2". My h-pipe i just bought was 2". I think you should avoid anything bigger that 2.5" because you will lose the scavenging effect of the exhaust and will end up losing power.

a few good sites to check out.
                          www.adtr.net
                          www.innovativeinterceptors.com
                          www.blueovalindustries.com
                          www.reinhartautomotive.com
                          shit man...thanks! I wanna break the 300 mark...is that easy without supercharger? dont wanna get into all that, or will I have to change cams n shit....sorry to keep banging questions. Ill check out the sites and then ask if I dont get something

Comment

300 with a super charger ( S/C) is easy. But it's the S/C that costs lots of money.
                            Without the S/C takes work and selecting the right parts.
                            It does take money to go fast.
                            The plans for my build are:
                            - PI heads with "work' done to them
                            - PI or Typhoon intake
                            - Mild to moderate cam to complement the heads.
                            - under drive pulleys
                            - 70mm Throttle body
                            - everything else i have on the motor now which includes
                            --self-fab'd Cold Air Intake
                            --Throttle body spacer
                            --MSD ignition coil packs
                            --9mm Ford Racing plug wires
                            -- E3 spark plugs
                            -- electric fan mod
                            -- no A/C

and then i have the dual exhaust. Those headers that Troyco put on his car doooo look tempting.

-ryan s.
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                              300 with a super charger ( S/C) is easy. But it's the S/C that costs lots of money.
                              Without the S/C takes work and selecting the right parts.
                              It does take money to go fast.
                              The plans for my build are:
                              - PI heads with "work' done to them
                              - PI or Typhoon intake
                              - Mild to moderate cam to complement the heads.
                              - under drive pulleys
                              - 70mm Throttle body
                              - everything else i have on the motor now which includes
                              --self-fab'd Cold Air Intake
                              --Throttle body spacer
                              --MSD ignition coil packs
                              --9mm Ford Racing plug wires
                              -- E3 spark plugs
                              -- electric fan mod
                              -- no A/C

and then i have the dual exhaust. Those headers that Troyco put on his car doooo look tempting.

-ryan s.
                              Avoid the Typhoon intake like the swine aids.
                              If you want a good intake for these cars look here.
                              http://www.hiperformancesolutions.com/index2.html
                              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                              Originally posted by MeanVic84
                              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X