Squeaking sound from front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaking sound from front end

I hear a squeaking sound from the front end when i turn the wheel left and right, go over bumps, and when i get in the car. I'm just wondering if i need to grease something up or replace something. I don't know much about suspension area of cars.

Please reply back.
    2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (Frost-Bite)

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Lube the front end, but I suspect you may have a ball joint on the way out. If you're not familier with suspension work, I'd suggest taking the car somewhere to be checked out. If you do have a ball joint thats really bad, it will need to be replaced asap or it could seperate at a bad time and cause an accident.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thnx

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Sound like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6v-UPObICs

Lower ball joints .

Comment

Unfortunately yes

But not as bad. The car sat for 3 months before i bought it so is it possible that it just needs to be greased up? Im already thinking about replacing it anyways but i have to wait til the new year for it.

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

If there is sound there is friction...

If there is friction there is wear ....

I would only tell you to use a needle to get some grease thru the boot if you promise to swap it out asap. Losing a lower control arm is no fun, Remember the coil spring is pushing down on that LBJ all the time and only the ball in the cup and the nut on top are keeping it up there.

If you do drop your lower control arm, The good news is all the tension from the coil spring will have been relaxed. The fun part will be removing the ball and stud from the spindle, But a hammer will save your butt there.

Now for the cup left in the LCA . I used a really healthy wrench across the top of the cup and a BJ press down on that. IT TOTALLY AGREE THAT WAS WAY UNSAFE, But I damn well couldnt press thru the bottom of the cup as I would have gone straight thru .

PB blast the stuff during the week prior to your work. Soak that area where the LBJ fits into the top of the LCA. IT will help ya later.

May the force be with you .

Comment

well, normally the goal is to replace the ball joint before the ball comes out of the cup Once its apart though, gotta do what you gotta to in order to fix it right.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What is PB blast??
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

PB Blaster, its like liquid wrench, spray it on stubborn rusty parts and helps it to come apart

-Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    well, normally the goal is to replace the ball joint before the ball comes out of the cup Once its apart though, gotta do what you gotta to in order to fix it right.
                    co-workers 97 LTC dropped his LCA on his passenger side...

Turning right..... Into the spot in front of his apt

Perfect place and speed.

Comment

yeah, sometimes that happens. Its a huge bitch when they blow apart at highway speeds. Luckily they usually tend to seperate in a turn, which is generally done at lower speed. Thats really the only saving grace about it, but if they got to that point the problem was overlooked for too long.

Comment

Yeah.. I won't lie...

He's a schmuck.

Comment

Working...
                        X