Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Failure Pictures???

Hi,

Does anyone have any pictures showing how/where the intake manifold typically fails? I keep hearing about it but would like to know what to look for. I have a 1997. Also, if anyone has any pictures of the original plastic one and a couple pics of the updated/upgraded version used to fix the problem that would be great. Doesn't have to be installed pictures, just of the parts themselves if good.

Thanks
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

I don't have any pictures to show you, but the updated version has an aluminum portion across the front where the coolant pass is. In other words, the point where the upper radiator hose goes in will be aluminum instead of plastic. Don't bother looking for a failure in it; if your intake doesn't have the aluminum coolant passage, it's going to fail. It's just a matter of time. Replacements aren't terribly expensive (check eBay) and the job isn't that difficult.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

Run through there... its like 5 pages in. Thats the main spot. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you where mine was leaking.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Thanks, that would be great.

Comment

Why is yours leaking? Or are you just getting the places to keep an eye on?
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

No, I don't have a leak, not that I know of at least. I've zero experience with this problem and was generally just looking for some info on the whole thing. It may have been fixed already, so the pictures will also help in determining that. I've not had the car long.

Does it generally happen at around the same time for most engines? What is the mileage range usually?

Comment

They tend to go at the thermostat housing.

They also tend to go at the heater core hose nipple at cyl # 4 .

BAD

GOOD

Comment

just tossing a question out here guys?
                my 95 thunderbird 4.6 had an all aluminum intake manifold.........will these work on the later model 4.6's?.........if it works it would be an option for the broke dude crowd

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  just tossing a question out here guys?
                  my 95 thunderbird 4.6 had an all aluminum intake manifold.........will these work on the later model 4.6's?.........if it works it would be an option for the broke dude crowd
                  I'd have to imagine it would fit on the engine fine. However, some of the accessories and brackets night not fit right.

Originally posted by CrownMarquis75
                  Does it generally happen at around the same time for most engines? What is the mileage range usually?
                  It can vary, on some it happened while still under warranty, some might take several years. My 98 Grand Marq has 114,200mi right now. its been leaking a bit for a little over 1000mi.
                  1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

My '01 had 183,000 on it when I bought it and the intake had never been changed, and had never leaked to my knowledge. That said, however, know this: if it hasn't leaked, that's only because it hasn't leaked yet.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Ok, so I took some shots of my engine, and I think it's been fixed, take a look....

Last edited by CrownMarquis75; 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah its a new one.

Anyways here's where mine was leaking.

This is also solved on the new intake. Its a one piece plastic nipple instead of a 2 or 3 piece brass glued into plastic.
                        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Great! What a relief. That don't look like something I want to deal with from the pictures. Thanks for posting though, at least now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                            They tend to go at the thermostat housing.

They also tend to go at the heater core hose nipple at cyl # 4 .

BAD

GOOD

woot woot!! I have the good one

Comment

You lucky fuckers! I just replaced mine last week... Kind of a P.I.T.A haha

Is there an actual recall on the intake? And if so, arent dealerships supposed to fix recalls before you sell a used vehicle?
                              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                              X