Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever change the wiper motor on an aero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever change the wiper motor on an aero?

The motor on my 92 GMQ is acting up. Last weekend after 4 hours of driving in the rain, I smelled hot electrical and suddenly the wipers stopped working right. When I shut them off, they park 90 degrees away from where they are supposed to be... IE straight up. when in intermittent, they go to the normal position just above the normal park position.

From what I've read, I'm figuring something went in the wiper motor. They still wipe fine, just won't park right.

How big a deal is it to swap out the motor? I'm guessing that the access is under the cover at the back of the engine?

I have a motor coming in the morning and I just wanted to get an idea how much of a project I'm looking at.

Brian
    sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Anyone???
    sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Comment

Yeah. They are prone to failure lol, maybe not so much the motor as the multifunction switch. My mom's '94 crown vic had the same problem with her wipers. they would park up, and not down. This is probably caused by the shitty design of the multifunction switch. They are very bad. In fact, sometimes the switch contacts get dirty and cause all kinds of weird shit with the wipers (intermediate speeds not work, high not work, but all other speeds work etc.). Anyway, the switch probably shorted out the parking gear on the motor. To replace the motor, you need to remove the under hood weather stripping from the rear of the hood. Then you need to remove the wiper arms. To do this, lift up on the arm, and with a screwdriver, pry on the tab that's on the side of the arm that pivots. When it is out far enough, you should be able to pull the arm off of the wiper regulator. do the same for the other side's wiper arm. Then remove the screws and clips holding the top of the wiper regulator housing to the bottom of the housing. Now you should have access to the housing. There will be clip that attaches the regulator to the wiper motor. remove the clip Now my memory gets a little fuzzy since its been a while since I did this, but there should be three bolts that hold the motor in place. When the three bolts are removed, the motor will be kinda able to be removed. If all of the screws and clips for the wiper regulator housing (bottom side where motor is sitting) were removed, you should be able to pick up the housing enough to fish the motor out thru the bottom, and unplug the two wire harness connectors from it to get the motor out of there. While replacing the wiper motor, I would also recommend you replace the multifunction switch as well, since I'm willing to bet that that's what caused your wiper motor to fail in the first place. You can probably get a remanufactured wiper motor for about 50 bucks if you shop around.
      Last edited by 86VickyLX; 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Got the motor already ($70) and the switch is acting funky. Problem was that I drove it for over 5 hours in the rain a few weeks ago and just as I got home I smelled something hot and the wipers suddenly parked in the up position.

No big deal driving it at the moment since the wipers don't work on intermittent unless the left blinker is on. I just leave them on the lowest intermittent setting so they wipe once when I start it and once in a while when I've got the left blinker on.

Next thing to order is the switch.

I'll do it all at once when I have everything.

Brian
        sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Comment

yes it would be best to do that, since it would save you from spending another 70 for another windshield wiper motor

Comment

Working...
          X