Strobe Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strobe Question.

I'm installing a pair of LED strobes behind the grill of my Grand Marq. What would cause them to be dim?
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Are you getting full voltage to the power supply?

Also, not that it's any of our business, but why exactly are you installing strobe lights on your car?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

led strobes? the ones from autozone or such store? little control box, and four white led's about 25 dollars? If so my friend has a set that are dim. If you want bright get a whelen system. My car came with them they are bright as hell
      sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
      [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
      [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
      [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

Originally posted by The Famous Lee View Post
        led strobes? the ones from autozone or such store? little control box, and four white led's about 25 dollars? If so my friend has a set that are dim.
        I have those exact ones for my 94. I was gonna put them on behind my grille, now I am thinking about mounting them on the back of the passenger visor like an unmarked car. Mine are VERY bright.
        -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
        -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
          Are you getting full voltage to the power supply?

Also, not that it's any of our business, but why exactly are you installing strobe lights on your car?

I'd assume so...its just batt - switch - lights. Although I don't have a multi-meter.

And I'm just putting them in for shits... a buddy threw them in along with some other stuff as part of a trade deal we made.

And no they aren't cheapy autozone ones. These are self-contained billet units. They are bright as hell, like legit fire/police strobes.

When I touch the wires to the battery its was fine.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I found my multimeter. I came to a good conclusion. I'm retarded! I had the wires mixed up. The wires going to the lights were feeding though the light on the switch which had a voltage drop of 6-7 volts.

All is well! They are bright as day.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

They are illegal as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
                Yeah. Don't plan on using them like a dumbass...
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Not if they are clear, and in a clear assembly... Just don't try pulling anyone over.

Local cops gave me hell about mine... so I went and talked to a sheriff deputy, a city cop from another town, and a state trooper who all told me that they are perfectly legal, as long as you're not trying to pull people over.

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                    I have those exact ones for my 94. I was gonna put them on behind my grille, now I am thinking about mounting them on the back of the passenger visor like an unmarked car. Mine are VERY bright.
                    I'm thinking of upgrading my current whelen system, to a newer control box. The one that came with the car is nice. but I'd like to have more control over the flash pattern....

Comment

My buddy. Who threw them in as with the trade. Had them on his GM. A cop said he couldn't have lights behind the grill...but it was only that one cop. He lives in a totally different part of the state.

The lights have clear covers. And they are hard to see unless you're looking at grill level.

But again I dont plan on playing police officer.
                      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                        My buddy. Who threw them in as with the trade. Had them on his GM. A cop said he couldn't have lights behind the grill...but it was only that one cop. He lives in a totally different part of the state.

The lights have clear covers. And they are hard to see unless you're looking at grill level.

But again I dont plan on playing police officer.

Then what exactly do you plan on doing with them? They serve no practical purpose.

Comment

Alot of construction/ landscaping guys around here have them in the corner lights of their trucks. Its not a bad idea, especially with the way the idiot driver's around here don't pay attention.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            Alot of construction/ landscaping guys around here have them in the corner lights of their trucks. Its not a bad idea, especially with the way the idiot driver's around here don't pay attention.
                            Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                            I'm installing a pair of LED strobes behind the grill of my Grand Marq.

Comment

Then what exactly do you plan on doing with them? They serve no practical purpose.

I have no idea...I had them... I figured I'd put them in... haha.

I maybe I'll sell them...haha

They are modules of 4 strobes in each...they arent like the ones you can mount in your light housings...
                              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                              X