1996 4.6 terrible missfire and hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 4.6 terrible missfire and hesitation

Never thought I'd be posting in this forum...

It's not a panther it's the Cougar. It runns a *tad* better today after some seafoaming (gotta love the smoke show!), a serious MAF sensor cleaning and new spark plugs. But, it still has a terrible miss and won't rev worth a shit. If I ease into the pedal I can get it to rev up to about 4k before it hits the wall and won't go ANY higher, but if I floor it, it stumbles up to about 1700 RPM and hangs there. It also has a nice POP out of the intake at times when attempting to get it to rev.

Is there any possible way that the timing could be adjusted? It's the DIS system with the 2 coil packs on the front of the motor- not coil-on-plug.

I was going to limp it over to vato zone today, but I couldn't get the CEL to come back on... yesterday it was flashing at me... seemed pissed off.

Anyone think this could be clogged cats? If I were to perhaps do something to the effect of gutting said kitties, what do I have to do to rid myself of the ensuing CEL from the after-cat O2 sensor?

More questions to follow, I'm quite sure...

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
    1997 Jeep Cherokee

verify that the firing order is correct
    tps maybe?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hi MoneyPit

The check engine light was flashing because the PCM detected a misfire, you can still get the codes pulled as you will almost certainly have a P03** code stored

You say you changed the plugs but what about the wires? The 4.6 likes good plug wires, you should also coat the plug boots in di-electric grease.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

I have my suspicions about the wires... seems every 4.6 i.ve owned in the past developed some sort of misfire due to bad wires. i'm gonna whip out the credit card after work today and get a new set. I did verify correct firing order last night.

dereck- when you say coat the boots, do you mean to coat the outside off the boot as well as putting some inside? seems like that would be a swell idea...

scott- will check tps tonight... my mutimeter had dead batteries last night.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post

Dereck- when you say coat the boots, do you mean to coat the outside off the boot as well as putting some inside? seems like that would be a swell idea...
          Hi MoneyPit

No need to coat the outside just smear a little around the inside

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Comment

I had a Crank Position Sensor go bad and that was causing a whole bunch of problems like that.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Last night i cleaned the IAC valve, changed the CPS, and threw some new plug wires on... she screams now! the trac lock diff sure does work, too!

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                Hi MoneyPit

No need to coat the outside just smear a little around the inside

Regards

Dereck
                Dielectric grease is Non conductive, You may be doing more harm to the sparks path by putting it on the inside and getting some on the plug.

Around the outside or bottom edge of the boot for either style ignition system on the 4.6 will stop any moisture from getting under the boot.

Along with some around the boot to head mating surface of the boot.

I am not saying it will cause a misfire as we all know that hasn't happened but you are blocking a % of the current.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post

Dielectric grease is Non conductive, You may be doing more harm to the sparks path by putting it on the inside and getting some on the plug.
                  Hi AKA Rizzo

Here are the instructions for fitting plug wires scanned from the Ford shop manual, note the highlighted paragraph.

Regards

Dereck

Comment

I read it.

Did you ?

Comment

The chemical composition of Motorcraft Dielectric grease

SILICA, AMORPHOUS 7631-86-9 5-10 HAZCOM
                      WHMIS 1 2. Composition/Information on Ingredients
                      This chemical product is a preparation.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...us178365us.pdf

The chemical composition of common OTC dielectric grease

Section 2: Composition/Information on Ingredients

Component CAS ACGIH OSHA OTHER %
                      NUMBER TLV PEL LIMITS
                      Dimethyl polysiloxane 63148-62-9 NE NE NE 10-20
                      Heptane 142-82-5 400 ppm 400 ppm NE 28-38
                      Isohexane 107-83-5 500 ppm 500 ppm NE 28-38
                      Propane 74-98-6 NE 1000 ppm NE 10-20
                      Isobutane 75-28-5 NE NE 10000 ppm 10-20

http://www.eecol.com/MSDS/MSDSs/CRC/...c%20Grease.pdf

If you have access to Motorcraft Dielectric grease then you are advised to follow their directions. Their grease is designed for different purposes.

Commonly available Dielectric grease is made solely for the purpose of protecting electrical components and connectors from moisture and is a blend of different ingredients.

One is ok to coat the interior surface of the boot, Which should not be confused with dab the boot end and expect the spark plug to push thru and make a proper connection.

The other is not.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                        I read it.

Did you ?
                        Hi AKA Rizzo

Nope, never read anything I just look at the pictures.

Regards

Dereck

Comment

Just got done with a long IM session with another new guy...

CEL after a plug change... He sent me this picture.

"We" went thru cleaning all that off, I webcam showed him how to apply it to his boots,plugs and such.

Problem gone.

Just in case this gets searched later I thought an example would help some.

I own a 2002 , so you can clearly see that aint my car .

Comment

Working...
                          X