Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Winter Tires;Sweet Deal

Hey,
    I got a killer deal on Tire Rack Online for 4 studded Firestone Winterforce tires (215/70R15). 54 dollars a piece, 15 dollars for the studding service per tire. Shipping was 54 bucks. I live in Maine and plan on rocking my 97 Panther in the snow this winter. Anyone else here have studded Winterforce tires on their panthers in the winter? I was curious about how they perform and how many seasons people have gotten out of them (I have heard good things so far). If anyone is looking for cheaply priced but good quality set of winter tires, this seems like one hell of a deal on tirerack.com
    JCRULZ
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    2007 Chrysler Sebring Touring (Wife's Car)

i've run them without studs just on the rear wheels......pretty decent tires

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My F150 had those (not studded) on the back. I received them on the rear wheels when I got the truck, and there they stayed for the three years that I owned and drove that truck. They were pretty damn good in the snow and they didn't look any different in the ~20k miles I drove the truck. I recently found them on Tire Rack too. I was amazed at how cheap they are. Very good tires for the price if you ask me.

Comment

I had them (no studs) on a Buick LeSabre. They worked great on FWD.
        FWIW: Most states don't allow studs.
        Grant
        2000 Grand Marquis 145,000 mi.
        No mods

Comment

I ran those exact studded tires on my 97 Grand Marquis, they worked excellently.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Looks like they're currently $62 each.

Isn't it inconvenient running a directional tire?

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Not if you don't rotate side to side.
              I tend to rotate front to back myself as I just don't trust the belts going the other way.
              Maybe that is just paranoia from buying cars that had tires with broken belts.
              Grant
              No mods

Comment

I have a set, without studs, that i ran last winter.
                Pure awesome. I can't wait to add a set to the front.
                I had the open differential and it still plowed through most anything. I never got stuck this past winter. And by stuck, i mean, someone had to come get me out kinda stuck.
                They're the reason i actually made it to hockey on time. because i know that with the shit tires i had on, THere was no way in hell i would have made it.

GREAT BUY.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsmagnum View Post
                  Not if you don't rotate side to side.
                  I tend to rotate front to back myself as I just don't trust the belts going the other way.
                  Maybe that is just paranoia from buying cars that had tires with broken belts.
                  Interesting, I had no idea tire belts could break! At least, not under any use I can think of.

Comment

I don't know if it is breaking or moving. But when a tire gets bulges that aren't supposed to be in the sidewall, I think it is moving. When it causes an out of round condition, I consider a belt broken.
                    I hate seeing a vehicle go down the road with the tire bouncing up and down from what I would call a broken belt.
                    Grant
                    No mods

Comment

Oh. I've only seen one tire with a bulge in the sidewall, and it had been on the car at least 10 years, and the car had been stored outdoors most of that time. It was a cheap whitewall Goodyear of some description that had always had lousy wet traction.

Come to think of it, a long time ago I did see a tire with a bulge in the tread, so that might have been a broken belt. I remember a parent having stopped at some random shop in some random town for some random reason and a random guy coming out and insisting that they needed a new tire right then, and pointing to a bulge in the tread. At the time (I was about 10 or 11), I just assumed that shop employee was potentially suspect, but now that you've gotten me thinking about it, it sounds like it might have been this broken-belt condition you speak of. No clue why that should have happened to a tire that appeared to be in otherwise acceptable condition (don't recall any hint of baldness or dryrot, and I've replaced more than one set of dryrotted tires in recent years that seemed otherwise 100% intact).

Comment

Ive had a few belts shift before. Especially before i fixed the front end steering problem.

These tires still kick ass, BTW.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I tried snows on the front a few years back, the soft sidewalls would turn under occasionally, like on a freeway onramp under acceleration, I switched back to good regular tires on the front. Ymmv.

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I'll second that the Winterforce tires are awesome. Mine will be going on my brother's Cadillac. (the one's from the Buick)
                            Grant
                            No mods

Comment

Winter Force's up front. Glacier Grip II's out back plus a track-lock = unstoppable beast.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X