only half the cylinders are firing on a 97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only half the cylinders are firing on a 97

My 97 will start but only stay running with the foot on the gas and is acting like only half the cylinders are firing. I just replaced all the plugs and tried new coil packs but it didn’t make a difference. Any suggestions?
    sigpic97 grand marquis 4.6

check it for codes? Might tell you something more useful but I'd suggest checking the connections for the crankshaft trigger. Could also be a dead IAC, but that would only make for a wonky idle or having to use the throttle to start the engine. it would still fire on all 8 and run pretty smooth above idle speeds.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hi Charlie2na91

The last guy I know who had a problem such as you describe turned out to be a bad PCM only triggering bank 1 fuel injectors, it may be an idea to check all the fuel injectors are triggering.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

i just bought a new pcm from a junkyard and that wasn't it, I'm going to pick up a code reader tomorrow if i cant figure anything out before then.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie2na91 View Post
          i just bought a new pcm from a junkyard and that wasn't it, I'm going to pick up a code reader tomorrow if i cant figure anything out before then.
          You can't really go by that, cause you don't know the condition of the computer you just got. Scan it for codes before you waste more money by throwing parts at it.

Comment

Unfortunately with the ECM swap, you've lost any diagnostic codes the original ECM stored, so you may not get much out of it. The ECM is usually the last thing you want to try swapping, and only if nothing else makes sense.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought a pressure tester and theres no pressure on any of the right cylinders so its got to be a timing chain. thanks for helping out anyway.

Comment

No compression on an entire bank? Odd. Never really heard of 4.6 cars having major timing chain problems. Are those interference engines?

Comment

I have no idea, but the bolt connecting the fan to the pulley is rusted and i cant break it loose because it spins with the wrench. any suggestions?

Comment

Never mind, I just took off the water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      No compression on an entire bank? Odd. Never really heard of 4.6 cars having major timing chain problems. Are those interference engines?

Timing guide failure plagued the 2000-2001 years for certain..

And yes... The pistons and valves will smooch each other upon a severe timing jump or chain/tensioner failure

Comment

was not the timing chain. every other cam follower has fallen off, any ideas?

Comment

....how the F does that even happen?

Is there any damage to the parts? Best suggestion is try putting it back together. It will either work fine, or you'll find out what was broken and caused it to come apart in the first place. Honestly though, something like that should never happen, so I'd really be trying to figure out what caused it.

Comment

could one side of the valves (exhaust or intake) be bent?

Comment

if the cam followers are out, the valves should all be shut, which would mean the valves wouldn't be bent. Of course if the valves were all bent and hanging partially open, I guess the cam followers could have fallen out when the cam came around to a low spot. Do a leakdown test on it and see if the cylinders are sealed or not. If its got massive leakage past the valves, you'll have your answer. With the valves shut, it should have minimal leakage. If they're bent, it will just blow air through. You don't really need an especially accurate tester for this. If you can just couple your compression tester's hose to a regulator and an air compressor, it would be enough to make a determination. Its basically either going to hold air, or its not. The exact amount of leakage isn't really important at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X