Breaking Loose a Rusted Rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Loose a Rusted Rotor

I'm trying to replace the rear rotors on my '01, but the passenger side is rusted in place on the axle badly enough that I've been unable to move it. There's very little room in there to swing a hammer due to the rear suspension being in the way, and I've tried to hold the rotor in place with the brakes and then put it in Drive and Reverse to try to use the drivetrain's torque to make the rotor turn on the hub ever so slightly (that's usually how I break loose rusted drums), but to no avail.

I've thought about yanking the axle shaft out of there, but that's more work than I really wanted to do, plus I'm not sure if I can push the axle in far enough to get the C-clip off. I know you can't with drums, but I've never tried it with discs.

So, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Can you post a few pics from various angles? My imagination is failing me right now.

Comment

if the rotors are junk, maybe a torch?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I would try putting the lug nuts back on (to protect the threads) and take a BFH to the hub area of the rotor (esp. between the lugs). I tried this on a (ford ranger) brake drum a few years back....after several hits and wondering if it was going to shatter......there was (finally) a metallic riiiiiiiinnnggg!!!!!.....and it came loose (it was rusted solidly to the axle hub).

I used to have an 05' dodge ram.....and the guys over on dodgetalk.com were often talking about how they took thier old rotors off.......in pieces......but the method described above was how most people got thier old rotors off (in one piece that is).

Hope this helps you.
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

smack the crap out of the face (outside) of the rotor with a big hammer......soak the flange surface with pb blaster first......it will come free

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yes, get a bigger hammer and more muscles
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Are you commenting about my muscles, or lack thereof, Pete? :p

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll keep whacking on it.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Natertater is strong for his width.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Comment

I've found that soaking with something like Liquid Wrench or WD-40, but then smacking the crap out of it with a big rubber mallet, will usually work.

No chance of damaging it as would be with a metal hammer, but the rubber mallet allows you to be a bit more wild with the swinging, and the vibrations will usually shake it loose.
                    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

I used a 3 arm wheel or gear puller. Use PB Blaster with the puller. Get big one and turn the bolt until the arms are tight, hit it with a hammer, do it again. It will come off.
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Aha, a good idea, and I actually have access to some pullers that I think would be big enough. I'll give that a try!

Comment

PB and a BFH. i use a 3 pound sledge. usually works pretty good.

Comment

The last time I tried a puller I actually ended up snapping the rotor in half. One half came off... the other stayed seized onto the hub.

Comment

Any progress with this so far?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X