its been a while,.... tail lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its been a while,.... tail lights not working

hey guys, i havnt been ob here much since i sold my vic but i am about to seal the deal on a 1994ish mercury, the lady told me that the guage and tail lights dont work and that it has happened before. she said the last time they fixed it, it was a sensor. is she right or am i bieng lied to? i dont know much about the 4.6 panthers so any incite would be helpfull.

what gauge and what sensor?

Comment

she has no idea what sensor is out but it shut all the gauge lights and the taillights off and they wont work at all now. im not sure if the gauges are working at all i didnt even ask her.

Comment

Auto lamp sensor is the only thing I can think of related to the lighting system at all. if it is bad, you can just manually turn the headlights on and it should all work.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i guess the headlights work its just the tail lights and gauges.... i think shes crazy and its just a bad wire or somthing.

Comment

Does the car have digital gauges?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

no, it has the normal ones, its a grand marquis but im not sure the year. its close to a 94.

Comment

ok, im pretty sure i found the real reason, we put a stereo in it a month ago and im thinking we accidently grounded a guage wire that effects the taillights too, guages work just no lights or tail lights brake lights dont work when you press the pedal. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Same problem as affects the boxes usually. Headlight connector/wiring for the guages/taillights/running lights melts.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by aramilx View Post
                    ok, im pretty sure i found the real reason, we put a stereo in it a month ago and im thinking we accidently grounded a guage wire that effects the taillights too, guages work just no lights or tail lights brake lights dont work when you press the pedal. any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    If I'm not mistaken, there's a fuse for the tail lights.

Comment

ok guys it turns out that all the running lights do not work, brake and head lights work though just no the running lights, the fuse is not blown and there was no grounded wires in the stereo. could it possibly be the headlight switch that is out? also what coler is the constant power for the head unit? we hard wired the stereo in and it is wired to the ignition so that i have to reset the radio everytime i shut it off. any ideas will help you guys, im desperate!!!!!

Comment

Read post #9. Check the wiring at the headlight switch.

Alex.
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

k gm guy, me and my automotivly inclined friend looked at it yesterday and he suggested that i go buy a new head light switch since mines is a lil messed up, it could still be the wires but then we know for sure it isnt the switch....

Comment

Thats why you look before you buy parts...

Alex.

Comment

i would but there is no power coming out of the switch so im almost 90% sure thats what it is and the knob is broke and pops off every time i pull it to turn the lights on....

Comment

Working...
                              X