Fuel line routing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line routing ?

Okay so this will be on a turbo 351w setup, I want to have the fuel line and return come in and exit at the back of the motor, and just a cross over line on the front. But im trying to keep it as clean looking as possible, so I dont really want my lines coming from the frame rail under the hood. I was thinking of bringing them to the middle of the car across the tranny X member, then mounting them to the tranny tunnel with some cushion clamps and running them up to the back of the engine over top the tranny. Here is a pic of what im talking about. Do you all see any problem with this as long as it is kept away from moving and hot parts? Will it pass tech inspection at a track?

Or do you all have any ideas of your own to keep it nice and tidy under the hood?

here are my two ideas

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

On mine I just re-used the stock lines for the vv carb setup. I plumbed in a Walbro pump and a filter, then ran -8 feed and -6 return up to the motor. This is all on the drivers side, the Lightning rails I am using has springlock fittings that face towards the drivers side so it all worked out. Eventually I want to change it out and run -8 and -6 all the way back to the tank.
    sigpic
    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

The 1st pic is pretty much how the stock EFI 302/351's are run in the truck motors.

As far as passing tech inspection, certain things will depend on how fast you are running, but one solid rule is that no matter what; the fuel pressure regulator has to be at least 6" away from the firewall. Other than that i think you should be fine.

Comment

I'd probably leave them on the frame rails and have them come to the inside of the "knee" under the A pillar and tie over to the firewall with something flexible to allow for any body to frame movement. Just have to be real careful about where the fuel lines are relative to the exhaust. Only reason I wouldn't run lines across the trans crossmember is just for the fact that if you need to replace the trans, the lines are going to be in the way of removing the crossmember if needed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I'd probably leave them on the frame rails and have them come to the inside of the "knee" under the A pillar and tie over to the firewall with something flexible to allow for any body to frame movement. Just have to be real careful about where the fuel lines are relative to the exhaust. Only reason I wouldn't run lines across the trans crossmember is just for the fact that if you need to replace the trans, the lines are going to be in the way of removing the crossmember if needed.
          I agree with this.

+1 on the regulator being 6" forward of the firewall. I failed tech inspection for that this past spring. Nothing like a last minute modification to get the car in the gates.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I was reading some rules, it says no part of the fuel system can be mounted to the firewall pretty much. Also fuel lines cannot be in the driveshaft tunnel, But when fuel line are ran in the bell housing area they must be inside of a .120 wall tube to protect them from the flywheel. So technically since the fuel line wont be in the driveshaft tunnel only the tranny tunnel, and the regulator will be mounted to the intake, if I put the fuel line in the tubing it should be legal.

Also, gadget73 the lines wouldn't be mounted to the crossmember my mistake in the discription I was mounting them to the floor of the car right above the crossmember

Sorry for the rambling I have a million things running around in my head right now LOL

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

The rules I read

1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS
              Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside
              of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame
              and/or steel body. Cool cans, fuel-distribution blocks, etc. must be
              located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area
              on rear-wheel-drive (RWD) cars, and on opposite side of
              flywheel/bellhousing area on front-wheel-drive (FWD) cars. Fuelpressure-
              gauge isolators, with steel-braided line, may be mounted
              on firewall.
              Tanks: When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located
              outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame
              constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .065-inch chrome moly
              or .118-inch mild-steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from
              the driver’s compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to
              prevent any fuel from entering the driver’s compartment. All fuel
              tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented outside of car
              body. A positive-locking screw-on fuel-tank cap is mandatory on all
              cars. Insulated fuel tanks prohibited. When used, fuel cells must
              have a metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside
              of body lines or trunk floor, excluding hose-connection area in rear.
              Non-metallic fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.
              Lines: All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or datarecorder
              lines) must be metallic, steel-braided or NHRA-accepted
              “woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches total (front to
              rear) of non-metallic or non-steel-braided hose is permitted for
              connection purposes only; individual injector-nozzle fuel lines are
              excluded. Fuel lines (except steel-braided lines) in the
              flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of
              steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted
              as a protection against fuel-line rupture. Fuel lines may not be
              routed in the driveshaft tunnel. NHRA-accepted woven or wovenpushlock
              fuel lines: Aeroquip FC300, FC332; Aeroquip Star Lite
              200; AQP Socketless; Dayco Imperial Nylo-seal tubing; Earl’s
              Prolite; Fragola Performance System Series 8000 Push-Lite Race
              Hose; Gates LOL Plus; Goodridge 526; Goodridge 710; Russell
              Twist-Loc 836 and XRP HS-79. Contact NHRA for updates.
              Pumps/Valves: Cars with non-OEM-type mechanical fuel pumps
              must have a quick-action fuel-shutoff valve within easy reach of
              driver and be located in the main fuel line between the fuel tank
              and the carburetor and/or injectors. Fuel-recirculation systems not
              part of normal fuel/pump system prohibited.
              Fuel/Air: Any method of artificially cooling or heating fuel
              prohibited, except for cool cans. Wet towels, rags, ice, etc. must be
              removed before vehicle leaves staging area. Intercoolers may be
              cooled with nitrous oxide or freon. Liquid intercooler tanks limited
              to maximum 3-gallon capacity, may use water/ice ONLY. If located
              in driver compartment, must be securely mounted to frame or
              frame structure.
              Alternative Fuels: Containers for alternative fuels must be
              permanently labeled by the manufacturer as suitable for CNG or

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Just seems to me they could get damaged during a trans swap. I like the idea of lines being protected by the thick steel frame, not just screwed to the bottom of the sheet metal floorpans. Also, there comes the matter of the screws to clamp it to the metal. Either you use machine screws and cap nuts or you end up with the pokey end of the screws sticking through the floor. Screw things to the frame and its not going to be a cutting hazard.

If you're using stockish fuel rails, have a look at F150 or F250 rails. I think they have long stainless flex lines that run from the back of the rail down to a connection at the frame. That might be a drop-in for what you're planning. The connections are at the rear of the rail in any case, so it might be a start point.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good thing the tracks here never tech'd. i have my regulator mounted to the firewall.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Okay, so here is my last and completly legal idea I think haha. Have the lines run up to the engine X member and cross over to the engine on it, then have cushion clamps mounted in the oil pan rail area and mount the lines to the cushion clamps and have them come up the front and go back on the front. Almost like factory routing just a little more hidden in the crossover area? what do you think? This will be on a super vic efi intake BTW if you were wondering how I was gonna mount the regulator to the back of the intake and keep it 6'' from the firewall.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Working...
                    X