Air Springs to Coil Springs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Springs to Coil Springs???

My air springs are leaking; the rear of the car is starting to sag when not restarted for a day or two. I'm not sure if I want to shell out for more air springs right now only to have them start life in winter weather. I may get a set of coils from a scrap yard and replace the air springs over the summer, leaving everything but the air springs in place, ready for refitting later.

Anyway...What do I need if I do this? Just the set of coil springs? Are there shocks on the rear of a car with air springs? Do I need to buy new shocks too? What about spring insolators?

How difficult is it to do the swap, and what cars can I get coils from, just Grand Marquis & Crown Victoria? Police models too?

Thanks
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Unbolt the air springs, put the coils in with isolators on top. You can order a set of coils for a non-loaded model Vic or GM and just pop them in.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Unbolt the air springs, put the coils in with isolators on top. You can order a set of coils for a non-loaded model Vic or GM and just pop them in.
      Thanks..."non-loaded" ??? You mean a CV or GM without RAS? Isolators only go on top?
      1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Comment

right, non-loaded meaning a base model without the air suspension option.

Yes, isolators go on top, nothing on the bottom.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

works best to remove shocks so that the rear drops down far enough one side at a time to install the springs. car should be raised in air with jack or something to have one side at a time in the air and unbolt the shocks. sometimes the bolts break so be best to replace shocks while messing with this. if car i want is available in a week or 2, i will be needing to do this myself with removal of blown air ride and shot compressor.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
          X