Audio install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio install questions

Hello, I have the standard am/fm radio in my car with only 4 speakers as far as I know. (see pic) Can I wire in an aftermarket unit without having to rewire all of the speakers? If not, how about a better stock Ford headunit? I have an am/fm cassette from my brothers 1994 Tbird...

Also, can anyone recommend some speakers for the dash that fit with little to no modification?

Thanks!

this is what I did without having to rewire all my speakers. (Although I am planning a rewire in the future).

Find the head unit you like.
    Buy an adapter that plugs into the factory radio plug (you can find them at best buy, I got mine at advance auto parts)
    Solder the plug that goes to the back of the head unit to the plug that you just bought (dont forget shrink tube)
    Plug it in and go.

You also need to buy a case that holds the radio in. I got mine also at advance auto parts, and they go for about 15 bucks. If you want to see what it looks like, theres a pic in my readers ride thread, and that link is in my sig. Any other questions just ask.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Ok cool. Yea I have done several audio installs but I didn't know if I was going to have to deal with bypassing the amp or something.

Comment

Hm, the not quite cheap of the cheap radio. I'm guessing this is an 86 or 87? The tape deck radio from those years ought to be a direct swap, and I'm pretty sure the 88+ radio also swaps in, as long as you get one with the same type of plugs. There are a couple different types of radios those years. One will have the silver football amp in the trunk and the same plugs your radio has, and the other has a black amp and totally different plugs.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, the tape deck does swap in, If I recall, back when my grandfather bought the car (in 87) it came with that, and He just ordered a tape deck from ford and put it in.
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

eehhh do your self a favor just get a aftermarket deck run all new wires youll be happier... far as speakers go 4.5 or 3.5 speakers should work you just have to watch the depth ...personally i like my factory jbl dash speakers...they are loud and clean... i just need to get speakers for my door now lol anywya happy hunting mang.
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
            X