Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with radio connector pinout....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with radio connector pinout....

the 1992 gmq i just bought had an after market head unit installed incorrectly, and the chopped up the stock connector instead of using an adapter, can any one help me with the wire colors and what they do?

Originally posted by aramilx View Post
    the 1992 gmq i just bought had an after market head unit installed incorrectly, and the chopped up the stock connector instead of using an adapter, can any one help me with the wire colors and what they do?
    you could try the12volt.com they usually have a decent source fro that stuff
    allthough i have found with and older panther your better off just running your own wires but yours is a 92 so you should be ok.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

thanks zoomie i looked and it had most of it but what about the thick solid red wire? it didnt have anything listed for that, also what is the ground, another thang that wasnt listed.

Comment

Oooh! Thanks for mentioning that site Zoomie.
        Looks to be useful.

GS
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

thanks zoomie i looked and it had most of it but what about the thick solid red wire? it didnt have anything listed for that, also what is the ground, another thang that wasnt listed.
          thick red wire?? im going to guess it is a main power ,run a voltmeter and see what it rated at, another way to check is a test light, usually i make my own ground wires, the only wires i worry about usually are pos(batt) pos (switched) and I usually make my own ground. if you can take some pics i can probably figure out the wires for you if youd like.

Comment

Here is what i do when i hardwire a stereo. first thing first i find my power wires. only two you need to be concerned about are constant form battery and hot from switched( i usually use a testlight to determine this.) then i figure out where i want to put my ground, after that i hook up speakers wires (note check all wires to make sure you dont accidently put a power wire to a speaker) last time i did one of those there where two seperate plugs one for speakers and one for power wires. as i said before see about taking a picture for me and i can see if i can figure out your wiring. anywho once you do it a couple of time its pretty much standard constant,switched and ground most speaker wiring is fairly simple from there.
            ah ha found something for ya
            http://www.p71interceptor.com/radio/
            Last edited by zoomie; 12-03-2009, 09:32 AM. Reason: found more info

Comment

thanks zoomie, i will take a picture as soon as i can get my hands on a camera. i stuck the radio back in for now so i have tunes while i drive and just reset the settings every time i get in it for now, its not blowing fuses but it sucks not being able to use the memory features on my head unit.

in the diagram you posted i dont think i have that thick black one, the only thick wire is the red one.... i dont rember for sure though, i have C.R.S lol
              Last edited by aramilx; 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

thanks zoomie, i will take a picture as soon as i can get my hands on a camera. i stuck the radio back in for now so i have tunes while i drive and just reset the settings every time i get in it for now, its not blowing fuses but it sucks not being able to use the memory features on my head unit.

in the diagram you posted i dont think i have that thick black one, the only thick wire is the red one.... i dont rember for sure though, i have C.R.S lol
                try switching your power wires around i think you have the constant and switched backwards from the sound of it.

Comment

Working...
                X