Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good shift kit for a noob to transmissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good shift kit for a noob to transmissions?

Hi

I've seen some info spread about the forum about shift kits but it seems to depend on the year and most the others doing it sound like they have done transmission work before. The only transmission work I've ever done before was to put a few parts back on my T5 in the 84 mustang, it was mostly together, like I didn't have to do anything with with the gears or anything. I have done fluid and filter changes before on an auto but that is as far as I've gone. I usually do all my work on my car myself but I've left rebuilding my automatics to the pros(if you can call them that, one only lasted 30,010, it only last about 10 miles pass the warranty and they wouldn't cover it) in the past.

My car seems to shift fine other than what appears to be the standard shutters and what not I've seen shift kits claim to fix in the AOD.

I'll be using it to tow my camper so I'll be adding a tranny cooler as well.

As for engine horsepower it will be close to stock I only plan a few mild things like an H-pipe, MSD multi-spark ignition, and probably a K&N filter probably with a box that will let it breath better. So I don't need anything to move shift points or anything like that. I just want to fix any issues that are standard to the AOD and make it last longer.

I drive an 85 GM with 75k on it and I have no reason to believe it does not have a stock 85 tranny in it.

So my question is: What is the best shift kit for an 85 GM that is pretty much stock and a transmission noob can handle? Also I'd like to keep the budget pretty low on the project as the more expensive it is the longer I'll have to wait to do it.

Also I've seen people ask about putting a wider 2" OD band on. Is this something a transmission noob could do and what would I all need to do to do that. Since I'll be towing, it would be nice if I could beef up the OD to handle towing.

Thanks for any info.
    '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
    only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

everybody left you hanging, huh?
    Here's my recommendations. Makco Distributing has always been a good source for me.
    They have two viable choices for you:
    TransGo # SK AOD Shift improvement / correction kit
    Superior AOD shift correction package
    I've used kits from both TransGo and Superior, and I really don't have a preference. Both are just strictly valve body kits, so if you can follow instructions carefully you can do either one. Now, they won't fix anything that's already wrong with your transmission, but they will make your transmission shift brisker and last longer.
    '84 Grand Marquis
    Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Oh, and without tearing into your transmission, the overdrive servo is a good upgrade.
      http://www.becontrols.com/tech/aodsupgr.htm
      '84 Grand Marquis

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was just hoping to have some info by spring, I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to do to the car. Right now I've still got a hesitation I'm trying to track down and I'm just trying to get rid of the neglect from the previous owner.

My car only has 75k on it and the trans seems to shift fine so I'm hoping that it has plenty of life left in it especially if I I install an improver kit. If I did need to get it rebuilt they would keep the kit I install in it right? I doubt I'd rebuilt the trans myself with the limited amount of free time I have to work on the car it would take to long to be without the car.

Comment

Originally posted by pstrbrc View Post
          TransGo # SK AOD Shift improvement / correction kit
          this one..im getting in the spring as well
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Keep in mind that there are at least five different companies offering shift kits for AOD transmissions....

Comment

B&M shift improver kit for AOD was $45 at O'reilly, had the local ford dealership install it (one of my racing connections recommended a guy there). Total cost of project $210.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
              Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
              Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
              NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                B&M shift improver kit for AOD was $45 at O'reilly, had the local ford dealership install it (one of my racing connections recommended a guy there). Total cost of project $210.
                I'm up for installing one myself, they don't sound that hard so long as the kit comes with good instructions. That's part of why I'm asking to see which brands/kits come with good enough instructions I can do it myself and to know which kits actually do any good.

Comment

You could do the install yourself. I dont have a garage (one of the true shade tree mechanics), weather has been cold and rainny, and i didnt have faith in my trans abilities (didnt want to screw it up).

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                  Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                  Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                  NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by pvillese View Post
                    I'm up for installing one myself, they don't sound that hard so long as the kit comes with good instructions. That's part of why I'm asking to see which brands/kits come with good enough instructions I can do it myself and to know which kits actually do any good.
                    The "good instructions" part is why I recommended the two I did. The TransGo people have a wonderful "real person" help line if you get stuck, and they'll walk you through just about any noob screwup. The first transmission I did, I had a "let me make sure I got this right" question, and the guy took his time, helped me turn the directions into words I understood, then called me back a couple of days later to make sure it all went well. I don't guarantee anybody will get this service, but thats my story.
                    '84 Grand Marquis

Comment

Thanks. I'll probably go with the TransGo, I had read some good and some bad posts/stories about the TransGo but all the bad seemed to be on newer AODs than mine. And it is a pretty cheap kit so if its not that great of an improvement I'm not out a ton of money.

Comment

Working...
                      X