1994 Crown Vic shit the bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Crown Vic shit the bed

My 94 just shit the bed the day before thanksgiving. I took my mom out to do some grocery shopping in it and we go into the store and come back out, I turn the key and......nothing. DAMMIT!!! I had it flatbedded to my house, about a 15 mile ride, cost me $80. I am pretty sure its the starter solenoid as it makes no sound when I turn the key. Luckily I have most of the week off so me and my old man will be starting into it soon. Anyone have any other ideas of what it might be?
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

is the battery fully charged?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yea, everything comes on when I turn the key and when I try to crank it nothing dims. So its probably not the battery.
      -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

check the wire at the solenoid on the starter and make sure it is connected........the early versions of that starter had a push on connector for the solenoid that falls apart

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

...and if that doesn't work, try starting it in 'N'.

Comment

Bad sending-unit or dead fuel-pump?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

i had a similar issue on my 1994 Grand Marquis LS last wednesday, turns out my shifter is out of whack and once i pushed it farther up into "P"ark it cranked right up. ECU probly doesnt like starting with the electronic trans in reverse or something

Comment

Yeah, that happens to me sometimes too. Just wiggle the shifter up around park, a little up or down, until you feel it get some resistance, and then give it a shot and turn the key. It might work?
                1986 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0 LS, named "Ulysses "

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                  Bad sending-unit or dead fuel-pump?
                  Not that because it would crank, and it doesnt. I will try the shifter thing, I did wiggle it in park and nothing happened, but I will put it in neutral and see if she fires. I will be pissed if it does, becuase I paid to have it flatbedded for nothing.

Comment

Well I held the key down and jiggled the shifter and what do ya know........VROOOOM. She fired right up. Its never done this before. But now I know that if it does just play with the shifter. I am probably going to take it to ford and have them fix it soon.

Comment

It happens. I had the same problem you had. Except i paid $130 to have it flatbedded to my house to have it start up after he dropped it off the bed. F*&%.
                      Atleast it's working!
                      -ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Well I thought this issue was the neutral safety switch, so I replaced it and it fired right up about 2 times.......then what do ya know its still not starting. WTF I am getting very very frustrated at this car. I dont know what it is, my old man said the starter could be getting stuck. A new starter is like $110...... Does anyone have ANY ideas or words of wisdom. Seems how my money is limited this will probably be put off for a couple weeks, but in the mean time I hope to at least figure out the issue.

Comment

starter/solenoid could very well have a bad spot in em. did you try waving a rubber chicken at it? no ok then

i'd say just gimme the car, i'll make a good home for it

(seriously tho, starter could be going pooched, also trans range switch [aka neutral safety switch] could need realigned)
                          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Crudded up wiring at the starter can do this. Theres a skinny wire with a push-on terminal down there. If thats corroded, it won't crank.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well me and the old man cleaned up the wires and for the last week it has been fine. Looks like problem solved....now I jinxed myself lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X