engine miss fires sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine miss fires sometimes.

okay here is the story, i bought a 92 gmq that miss fires, but only when its driving, not when its reved up in park and it only happens sometimes, ive been in cars that have missfired and they were usualy constant so this is kinda throwing me off here, any help guys?

Time for a little tune-up: plugs, wires, PCV valve and air filter. The EGR passages might be clogged also...How many miles/kms are on your '92?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

its got 172,000 right now, i just did an oil change and new plugs, the oil was pitch black. the plugs were ok two of them had bad gaps though. next week im doing a radiator flush and new plug wires, how do you clean the egr passages?

Comment

Its mainly just taking it off and cleaning it out with a small brush or wire. I had found a good site when I googled it a while back, but now I couldnt find it > Haha.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

the plugs fixed the missfire, but its not shifting right now. atleast it seems like it isnt to me, i can only notice one shift and that is around 25-35 mph then the check engine light comes on at 50 mph every time and when i drive in overdrive it slips out and revs up when i hit the gas but doesnt go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by aramilx View Post
            the plugs fixed the missfire, but its not shifting right now. atleast it seems like it isnt to me, i can only notice one shift and that is around 25-35 mph then the check engine light comes on at 50 mph every time and when i drive in overdrive it slips out and revs up when i hit the gas but doesnt go anywhere.
            It sounds like a bigger problem, but...
            ALWAYS check trans fluid first with tranny issues. Get it warmed up and in park with engine running on level surface check it.

If its pink/milky its been exposed to water/coolant. Black/brown its old and burnt up. If it's frothy theres too much.

As for the code... it might just be a lean/rich O2 sensor or MAF thing that pops up when you get to higher speeds.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

thanks man, when i can get a camera ill take a picture of my throttle linkage thingy, there is a cable that comes from the fire wall and has a spring on it that the clip broke off so it is no longer attached... i have a very strong feeling that that is whats screwing with my tranny, this car has been ran hard and put away wet so its gunna have problems but im willing to take care of them all... for now lol

Comment

If its an early 92, pre-3/92 build date you have an AOD. The AOD has an additional cable on the throttle lever thats held in place with a little plastic bushing. the bushings are known to fall apart and the cable falls off. Problem is, when that happens the transmission self-destructs really quickly. If you have an AOD, be damn sure that cable and bushing is connected properly or you may be SOL in very short order. Do not drive the car until you're absolutely sure of whats going on there.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thamks gadget, i believe that is whats wrong, ill get that fixed as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    If its an early 92, pre-3/92 build date you have an AOD. The AOD has an additional cable on the throttle lever thats held in place with a little plastic bushing. the bushings are known to fall apart and the cable falls off. Problem is, when that happens the transmission self-destructs really quickly. If you have an AOD, be damn sure that cable and bushing is connected properly or you may be SOL in very short order. Do not drive the car until you're absolutely sure of whats going on there.

Oh good catch Gadget! I forgot about the TV cable. I bet thats what it is.
                    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

hey do you guys know the parts code for the bushing? what all do i have to replace?

Comment

Working...
                      X