Stick with the same oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with the same oil?

The lady I bought my merc' off of told me she used Chevron Supreme 10w-40 oil for the last 100,000 miles. Should I continue with this oil, or switch to somethin' else? I recently took the valve covers off and there's no sludge at all, even after 209k miles. The tops of the heads are extremely clean. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it, however, I'm also currently fixing a massive oil leak on the intake. I dunno if the oil is at all responisble for the leak or if it's just... ya know, having 200k on the motor.

Any opinions on this oil?

Welcome!

Yeah, if it aint broke, dont fix it. 200K on the engine may be responsible...

I personally run castrol GTX 10W40 with a can of restore on my 218K motor, with a motorcraft filter, and it does great.

Also, did u happen to convert that CFI to carb? Ive done it.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

personally i would stick with the oil that the previous owner used......u dont want to mess up a good thing........ie: i use pensoil in my motorhome, the previous owner used pensoil since day 1
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

GMGT, yeah, I'm in the process of reasearching that CFI-Carb swap for my '85 T-bird. I have a manifold(stock stang '83 piece), duraspark ignition (minus one small harness), and will probably buy a new Holley 600 manual choke, vac secondaries (unless someone convinces me to get an Edelbrock) Seeing as how a new holley is like $40 more than a Reman. I'll just err on the side of being safe. Anything else to know about that swap? I'm gonna put a tube in the tank in place of the pump, get an external electric pump, and that should take care of the fuel. I'm safe with plain old rubber lines in this low-pressure situation, right? Lemme know anything else I need to know about this swap. I read some of the stuff from 4barrelsoffury over on CVN, but I need to find out more regarding hooking up the GayOD, probably get a Lokar cable, if that works.

Aaaannyway, back to the topic: looks like Chevron it is. Can't find it many places, but I think I'll probably get it by the case at the same place the previous owner did.

PS - For shits & giggles I think I'm gonna post pics of these heads and the heads on the 5.0 from my old '84 Cougar (wiith only 70k I might add) and we'll see if y'all can guess which is which.

Comment

ah yes, 4bbls of fury, aka justin...

If ur wondering, I helped him with that swap, lol...

I did his entire fuel system, so If you got any questions, pm me...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
          X