93 GM ok to use overdrive in town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 GM ok to use overdrive in town?

Just bought a decent 93 GM, has factory external trans cooler, PS cooler, 196K. Is it ok to use O/D in town with these transmissions? I believe it has the AODE. Arent these the same as the AOD but with electronic O/D? With the AOD in my 88 Cougar you treat it like a three spd. in town. The 4r70w in my 96 t-bird has been fine.

It won't hurt it, though if you find it shifting in and out of OD, you might want to hit the button to lock it out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by magwheels View Post
      Just bought a decent 93 GM, has factory external trans cooler, PS cooler, 196K. Is it ok to use O/D in town with these transmissions? I believe it has the AODE. Arent these the same as the AOD but with electronic O/D? With the AOD in my 88 Cougar you treat it like a three spd. in town. The 4r70w in my 96 t-bird has been fine.
      Nope. It's a 4R70W. The only thing that ever got an AODE was the '94/'95 Mustang with the 5.0.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
      1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

92-94 panthers got it too. its an aode.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In my '01 Crown Vic, I usually lock out overdrive unless I'm going at least 45-50 mph. At such low speeds, the engine is well below its torque band so it's not very responsive, and it has a tendency to want to hunt in and out of 4th gear, as Thain/gadget mentioned. That's been the behavior with a 3.27:1 axle; what's the ratio in yours?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            92-94 panthers got it too. its an aode.
            Really? I thought '92s got a plain old AOD... There's a strong possibility I've got my facts wrong.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
            1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Early '92s, equipped with what's referred to as the "bastard block" 4.6, (Windsor bolt pattern) used the hydraulically-controlled AOD. After March of 1992, they switched to the AOD-E. So, actually you were right, sort of.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
              X