B&M Shift Improver Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&M Shift Improver Kit

Order my B&M Shift improver kit (AOD) from the local O'reilly, and will be in on wednesday. Has anyone used this kit, and what kind of improvements will I see? I am going to have it set up for stage 2. I am also going to outsource the job to a connection I have at the local ford dealer ( Sorry I dont have faith in my trans abilites aside from fluid and filter changes.)

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

I used a B&M on my '89 Crown Vic, and it definitely made an improvement, but I was disappointed that it didn't firm up the 1-2 shift more than it did. It was still pretty soft, but faster than it had been before. 2-3 and 3-4 felt very nice.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thanks Nathan, A real issue i noticed at the track was the slow shifting and it would hold the gears too long before up shifting. My trans is in good shape with 85800 miles on it.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

I saw almost no improvement after installing a B&M kit on my white '87. Of course, that was a comparatively weak-shifting transmission to begin with.

What do you mean by "hold the gears too long"? The usual problem with a Vic AOD is shifting way earlier than convenient.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I installed it on my car. It was a waste of money. It had snappier shifts but really didnt change anything.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            I saw almost no improvement after installing a B&M kit on my white '87. Of course, that was a comparatively weak-shifting transmission to begin with.

What do you mean by "hold the gears too long"? The usual problem with a Vic AOD is shifting way earlier than convenient.
            I was refering the the slow smooth transition into the next gear, as opposed to a snappier quicker shift. Can you say slushbox? LOL

Comment

I thought AODs were just naturally extra-slushy.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Oh, you mean it shifts slowly, not that it holds the gear. "Holding a gear" means to me that it's shifting at higher RPM.
                Last edited by 1987cp; 12-08-2009, 12:44 AM.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

On my 95 town car it chirps em from 1-2 and 2-3 when I floor it. People look over like wtf? Oops, I have a trans go not B&M sorry.
                  Last edited by p71towny; 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM. Reason: wrong shift kit
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

i had a b&m shift improver kit installed by my friend brian in 2004 shortly after my ho conversion.....it was slipping pretty bad at wot in the 1-2 shift.......shift kit new fluid and maxed out tv pressure
                    i like the shifts......my light throttle shifts are fairly harsh.......wot is not but that is just the nature of the aod

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, I've never seen an AOD that had a really firm 1-2 shift at WOT, at least not one that was anywhere near stock. The AOD in my '89 had a nice firm 1-2 shift at light throttle, but was a lot slower at WOT. The 4R70W in my '01 is the same way since I did the J-mod. 2-3 shifts are nice and firm at WOT in both cars. I guess it's just the way they're designed. I remember Larry making a comment before about the direct clutch pack being the culprit in that, but that's deeper into the tranny than most people want to go, methinks.

Okay, I'll quit rambling now.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

stock AOD shift calibration is horribly mushy. Shift kits help, but I've never been in an AOD car that had a WOT 1-2 shift I liked. Even my car with its relatively fresh and otherwise very healthy transmission has a pretty mushy 1-2 shift. The Mark VII with its stock transmission has an outright horrible 1-2 though, so comparatively speaking, the Towncar isn't so bad.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like the way your car shifts, Thain. The first time I rode in it, I remember thinking... "oh, these shifts are crisp".. not something I usually associate with the AOD.

I have no thoughts on shift kits as they pertain to the AOD. One of these days I will fix the set-up in the red box. I have debated buying a complete vb, I have even thought of changing the entire transmission. I'll probably do nothing.

I did put a B&M kit (not the improver, the more complex one) in a GM TH400, and the results were *very nice*. Fast, crisp shifts; the transmission was otherwise stock, with the exception of a 3800 stall converter.

I have to admit that I am a fan of hard shifting automatics, however nonsensical they may be. The best shifts I have ever felt are in my Dad's '05 F350 6.0 diesel. When the transmission is not yet at operating temp, and you put the transmission in tow-haul mode, and do a slightly boosted launch, and go to WOT... Mmmm... mmmm..mmm. Just about hit your head on the rear window.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Nate I am drooling over your signature even though that is a fairly old picture that I have seen before.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                              Yeah, I've never seen an AOD that had a really firm 1-2 shift at WOT, at least not one that was anywhere near stock. The AOD in my '89 had a nice firm 1-2 shift at light throttle, but was a lot slower at WOT. The 4R70W in my '01 is the same way since I did the J-mod. 2-3 shifts are nice and firm at WOT in both cars. I guess it's just the way they're designed. I remember Larry making a comment before about the direct clutch pack being the culprit in that, but that's deeper into the tranny than most people want to go, methinks.

Okay, I'll quit rambling now.
                              The trick with making the AOD shift violently (and I mean violent) during the 1-2 shift is the 4-disc intermediate clutch mod. If I ever get around to freshening up the SC AOD that I plan to toss into the T-bird, I'll snap some photos of what I'm talking about. It's easy to do, because if you're tossing in a new O/D band, then you have to remove the intermediate clutch pack to get to it....

Comment

Working...
                              X