Engine Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Codes

I pulled the codes from my 93' GM which has an issue when cold where it will buck like crazy if you give it too much gas making you drive very slowly for the first 1-2 minutes. The ABS light also comes on which may have to do with code 536. I am also aware that 632 is just because I didn't cycle the shifter, so i guess it can be ignored. My question is what do these codes really mean and what should I do to correct them?

KEY ON ENGINE OFF

System checks OK

1 - Switch to Memory

(M)
    Fuel system was lean at part throttle Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

(M)
    Fuel system was lean at part throttle - Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

(M)
    Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal - Ignition Systems

(R,M)
    EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

(O,R,M)
    Brake On Off open or shorted to ground - BOO

ENGINE RUNNING

(R,M)
    EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

(O,R,M)

(R)
    E4OD - Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and Goose test

Oh, and for anyone who wants to pull codes from an OBD-I Ford these videos are really helpful, although I suppose you need to know if your vehicle puts out 3 digit or 2 digit codes.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxDYSmGjHc

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXvykxU_r3g&NR=1

Comment

I reset the codes and drove it for a day and got back:

KOEO

(O,R)
      Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT

(O,R)
      Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) sensor out of range - Transmissions

Engine Running:

(O,R)
      Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT

(R,M)
      EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

(O,R,M)

(R)
      E4OD - Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and Goose test

Again, I understand the 632 and the 332. For the 536 is that the brake on/off switch on the brake pedal? I recently replaced a faulty one and it works now but is the new one shorted maybe? Would that affect my ABS because the ABS light is on all the time. Lastly, the temperature out of range codes could that be because it was -10 degrees C when I tested this or is there another problem? (I did let it warm up for the engine running codes)

Comment

If the engine was at operating temp and you still got the "out of range" code, I'd replace the sensor. At least test it and see if it's out of range HI or LOW.

There is a pressure switch mounted on the master cylinder that is prone to failure. There was a TSB about it on certain cars. I know my '97 Marquis got a recall notice to replace it. Does your cruise control work?

Ray
        Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
        Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

The cruise control does work.

Comment

based on what you are describing and the codes you got, I would replace the ECT sensor, pull the ECM fuse momentarily (which re-sets the PCM memory) and drive the car. then re-scan for codes in about 200 miles.

as far as the EGR goes, I would inspect the EGR supply tube, which goes from the passenger side exhaust pipe to the EGR valve itself. the supply tube is notorious for cracking on 92-95 year model cars.
            Also, take the EGR valve off and clean the passages inside the lower intake manifold. those are bad about clogging.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
            X