Break Booster going bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break Booster going bad??

Ok, so sometimes when I press my break pedal regular pressure, it won't relly do anything (can be a bit scary when comming up on stoped cars) But the pedal still feels normal, but if I give a tad more pressure it jams the breaks on hard. This is only every now and then it dose it. The break pads and rotors are brand new, So I was wondering if it would be the booster or somthing else going bad, Oh and its my 89 Merc im haveing the problem with.
    Thanks

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
    351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
    duel exhaust with cherry bombs

unbolt the master cylinder from the brake booster.........if the back of the master cylinder is wet, replace the brake booster and the master cylinder

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ok, I will do that this weekend,
      Thanks

Comment

sounds more like failing MC or problems with the calipers. If the sliders are seized, or the calipers themselves are shot it will act like that. When the booster goes, usually you just get a hard pedal, or a sucking sound from the big vacuum leak.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like a mechanical problem (sliders as indicated above), a bad master cylinder, or something else. All the brake booster does is reduce the effort it takes to push on the pedal using engine vacuum. The hydraulic circuit is independent of the booster.

If I had to guess the problem is in the front brakes, it sounds like that the sudden engagement are the rear brakes coming online because the fronts are not doing their jobs. Just a guess though.
          2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
          2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
          1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
          1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

related thought, you may also have rear brake issues. They shouldn't slam on like that. If the wheel cyls are bad they will hang up though. Really really far out of adjustment might also do this. Methinks its time to do a 4 wheel brake inspection to see what you've got. Just remember, even if the pads are new, if the calipers or the rest of the hardware are screwed up, they won't work well.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, so I think it may be the calipers. the pads and rotors where put on new about 6-7 months ago, and the right side rotar is all worn down on the rear side(Closest to the engine, And it looks like it has been dragging a little bit. Now when I changed the pads & rotors I cleand the pins and put antiseize on them. so my guess is i need new calipers, And aparently new pads and rotors again, altho the drivers side isen't that bad. Oh i forgot to add once and a while the peadle will get spungy and the breaks will kinda chatter, then if i let up on the peadle and press it again its back to normal.

Comment

change brake pads in pairs. Replace calipers in pairs too. If one is shot, the other is very close behind. I'd also put new rubber hoses up there.

I tried doing it the cheap way. When I got the Towncar, the passenger side caliper was bad, and had been ignored for so long there was almost no rotor left. New rotor, caliper, and the 2 brand new pads that were in the trunk (prev owner hung 1 set on it). This was a Wednesday. Friday, on my way home from work the driver's side caliper started to hang up. Another new caliper and it was good. I got that one long before it ruined the rotor or pad though.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I'd also put new rubber hoses up there.
                  Ditto on this one. The hoses could be swelled up on the inside.
                  2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
                  2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
                  1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
                  1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

Working...
                  X