Reverse clutch piston return spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse clutch piston return spring

I have disassembled yesterday transmission (89 AOD) and found out that the reverse clutch piston return spring is broken. Without this I can not assemble the transmission. Do you know where can I buy one? I need some online shop that sends to Europe, unfortunately Rock Auto does not offer this part.

What could be the possible cause and effect of this defect?

sigpic

you may want to also post over on clickclickracing.com. Its a forum with several AOD gurus.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It happens with time on some transmissions (though, a neutral drop into reverse will help it happen sooner). It doesn't effect the performance of the transmission since it's the revers gear clutch pack, and it still kinda works even when it's broken like that (it does make it weaker, but apparently not enough to stop it from working). However, it would be a good idea to replace it. Mine was like this when I rebuilt it. And I've seen a good few of them the same way.

Comment

have you found a replacement part yet?
        check your PMs.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

My guess is that he probably already got it from Ford. A few years old, but last time I bought one it was about $10-$15.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
            have you found a replacement part yet?
            check your PMs.
            I found out that fortunately it is no problem to order any part of the transmission through one dealer here in Czech Republic. I should have it in two days. Then will come the big moment - will it work or not? This spring, burnt direct clutch and one check ball on other place that it should be, were the only problems in the transmission, so I hope it will work, and it will work a little better (for example the check ball could cause harsh 3-4, 4-3). This time I will definitelly set the TV pressure with a gauge.
            Last edited by Lord Iffy; 01-10-2010, 09:16 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X