Side Pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Pipes?

Has anyone tried to install sidepipes on a GM? How was the install? How was the sound? How was the performance?

Thanks in advance-

1968Cutlass

2004 Grand Marquis LS
    1968 Hurst/Olds clone
    2004 Subaru WRX
    ("More fun than a mouse at a beauty pagent")

I saw a 76 mark 3 with side pipes and it looked sick, but it had factory exhaust hidden away so they didn't function.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

http://ebiz.netopia.com/cnwmr/sideexhaust/
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

is this what you mean by sidepipes?

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744661
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
        1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
        http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Originally posted by tim marks View Post
          is this what you mean by sidepipes?

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744661
          Your link isnt working.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
            Your link isnt working.
            It's a shot of an over-the-axle tailpipe that exits to the side of the car rather than all the way to the rear. I'd post a hotlink to the pic, but you're right, Supermotors is being more than a little flaky at the moment.

I suspect this is more along the lines of what the OP meant:

It looks nice, in an old-school hotrod sort of way, but the install looks more than a little complicated (someone like me would have to order an assortment of J-bends and hack them up and weld them like a header tube) and it looks like it'd be even more complicated if you needed to retain the cats. However, a basic side *exit* system is very easy to install while retaining all four cats.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              It's a shot of an over-the-axle tailpipe that exits to the side of the car rather than all the way to the rear. I'd post a hotlink to the pic, but you're right, Supermotors is being more than a little flaky at the moment.

I suspect this is more along the lines of what the OP meant:

It looks nice, in an old-school hotrod sort of way, but the install looks more than a little complicated (someone like me would have to order an assortment of J-bends and hack them up and weld them like a header tube) and it looks like it'd be even more complicated if you needed to retain the cats. However, a basic side *exit* system is very easy to install while retaining all four cats.
              Yeah that was CV from th link I had up. It looks pretty badass, but you'd almost have to have it professionally done especially to retain both cats. You could always remove 1 pair of cats or get single high flow cats...thatd be easier to fit everything.

But just plain side exits before the rear tires would be easy to do. I had that set up on my old Caprice (best sounding straight-piped SBC I've ever heard). It was a little loud inside. It may be a little loud inside the Merc though. Mine is on my Merc and it exits out the back, but it's straight-piped with one set of cats removed.

What kind of mufflers were you thinking? That has a lot to do with the sound in/outside of the car.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I'd just mention that routing and muffler choice can be pretty closely interrelated. If you want to go just straight back and out the back, you're pretty much limited to stuff with a small round case like glasspacks or "bullet" style race mufflers.

My old side-exit system I was rather fond of was actually somewhat inelegant in execution, but the results were nice. Since an oval-case muffler in the stock location exits too far back to route the pipe right out the side, I started with a pair of center-exit Cherry Bomb Turbo IIs and ended up with a conglomeration that looked somewhat like this:

and terminated in a pair of neat, unobtrusive flat retangular tips that barely peeked out from under the rocker panel, making the system nearly invisible from the side.
                Attached Files

Comment

i kinda have side pipes but not really, i just bolted soem 31 inch glasspacks with custom turndowns underneath my linc, some of the mangs can vouch for the way it sounds.. not to shabby lol
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

GMGT has got glasspacks with side exits

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      I'd just mention that routing and muffler choice can be pretty closely interrelated. If you want to go just straight back and out the SIDE, you're pretty much limited to stuff with a small round case like glasspacks or "bullet" style race mufflers.
                      There's a silly typo if I saw one. Two glasspacks, two 90-degree bends, and some extra tubing and you're done. My system with 31" glasspacks tended to scrape, though.

Comment

Hemi-turbo mufflers with the inlet/outlet on the same side of the muffler are good too:

Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                        Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

That's a much cleaner way to do it, and the view from the side is very similar to what mine was. I went all through the Walker exhaust catalog and could only find that muffler configuration in 2" in/out, or else the megabuck Roush stainless exhaust for Mustangs. What brand/model are your mufflers and where did you get them?

One thing I do like about a side-exit exhaust configuration is that it's very easy to remove and reinstall.
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I ordered mine online. (Don't recall the website, I'd have to find my receipts)

Check out the Dynomax catalog:
                            http://dynomax.com/assets/2008catalo...superturbo.pdf

2.25" - 17675
                            2.5" - 17676
                            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Marquis View Post

Holy leaking pinion seal, Batman!

The exhaust looks pretty good, though.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X