99 MGM -need help with electrical issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 MGM -need help with electrical issue

My car has the digital type gauges. Driving down the road today and the whole dash went black. No gauges, speedo, fuel, radio, heater or directional signals. Wasn't too far from home and made back but on the way the car didn't shift right, sputtered occatioanlly. Did notice that while driving the abs light and trac control light were dimmly lit. The little red light on the top of the dash occasionally blinked. When i got home and tried to restart the car after shutting it off, the battery appeared dead. CAN anyone help?

Have you checked the fuses in the power panel under the hood? I wonder if one of the main fuses didn't pop on you. The alternator fuse should also be attached right to the side of the box. If that blew, it won't charge and low voltage might cause those problems.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a similar thing happen when the battery died but i was just sitting there with the car off. Everything started freaking out. then it didnt start. So I'd also start with the fuses. Recharge the battery and see what happens.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I'm going to check this out this morning. I'm leaning towards the alternator but I'll see whats up. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Problem solved! Alternator was junk. LOW VOLTAGE is a funny thing.

Comment

Broken ground wires will do weird stuff like that too. Glad to hear you fixed it though!!

Comment

Happened to me when the alternator went, bought a new battery first, driving home everything powered off. Though not sure why youd have trouble with it shifting.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                Though not sure why youd have trouble with it shifting.
                It's electronically controlled correct.
                When my battery died the car was doing all sorts of crazy shit. The radio was going off with the trunk release. Some of the dash lights were blinking with the hazards...
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                X