No Overdrive in '89 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Overdrive in '89 Town Car

Hey guys I just bought a real nice '89 town car 1 owner from older guy down the street from me, the catch was that the overdrive doesnt work, it only has 113K on it runs great and really in great shape, I wanted to ask if this is a easy fix in the lockup of the torque converter or in the bands in the transmission itself? Mind you i got the car for $450.00 so i've looked on car-parts.com for my area and found several low mileage transmissions 54k-70k miles on them. Any thoughts from you more senior guys on here? Thanks

Welcome!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless someone has replaced the transmission, with one that doesn't have overdrive, you are going to need a new transmission sooner than later.

If you've lost OD it's the overdrive band itself.
    Before you drive it another inch you will want to check the cable that comes from the transmission up to the throttle on the bottom of the throttle body. (under the snorkel running from the air filter box to the upper intake)

If it has popped off, you'll want to hook it back up immediately and head over to ford and pick up a new bushing for it.

That cable is called the throttle valve or TV cable. It controls the hydraulic pressure inside the transmission on these cars. If it comes loose the pressure drops and the clutches slip, quickly frying the transmission.

If it were me, and it drives fine otherwise, I'd drive it like it is for a little while but I'd be in the market for a good transmission. If you put one in yourself be sure to read up on setting the line pressures on an AOD and adjust the tv cable appropriately.

The good news is, you're at least in the same state as Lincolnmania, who is an absolute wizard with these cars. He can set you straight at a fair price, and may even have, or know where to get a good transmission for you.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 12-31-2009, 11:42 PM.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

+ 1 on everything GS just said lol

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
        Welcome!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless someone has replaced the transmission, with one that doesn't have overdrive, you are going to need a new transmission sooner than later.

Before you drive it another inch you will want to check the cable that comes from the transmission up to the throttle on the bottom of the throttle body. (under the snorkel running from the air filter box to the upper intake)

If it has popped off, you'll want to hook it back up immediately and head over to ford and pick up a new bushing for it.

That cable is called the throttle valve or TV cable. It controls the hydraulic pressure inside the transmission on these cars. If it comes loose the pressure drops and the clutches slip, quickly frying the transmission.

If it were me, and it drives fine otherwise, I'd drive it like it is for a little while but I'd be in the market for a good transmission. If you put one in yourself be sure to read up on setting the line pressures on an AOD and adjust the tv cable appropriately.

The good news is, you're at least in the same state as Lincolnmania, who is an absolute wizard with these cars. He can set you straight at a fair price, and may even have, or know where to get a good transmission for you.
        Ok thanks yea it think i'll end up just replacing it tv cable bushing looks good nothing there so probably the band on well at least i got it 4 pretty cheap, i planned on doin Ho conversion on this car too, so build lil better trans, i know a real good aod guy near me...thanks guys its been awhile since i fooled with any ford trans figured better ask then be stranded when it when south.

Comment

Yeah funny thing is that it might last you a long time without Over Drive. I had actually bought and 89 Crown Vic a while back that didn't have Over Drive. He said it's been like that for years? But anyways I ended up driving the car home. It was just a parts car anyways.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            Couple years ago I busted the overdrive band. Tranny guy couldn't fix it overnight. "How far you going?" he asked.

"1900 miles."

"Oh".

Made it from Virginia to Sturgis ND and back w/o stopping except for gas. No problems but gas mileage: 17mpg.

Donald McCaig
            1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Does it not upshift to overdrive, or does it neutral when it shifts? If it neutrals, the OD band is gone. If it doesn't even try to upshift, its vaguely possible that the linkage is out of whack and you're in the wrong gear position. A lot of the time the shift indicators are not accurate, so you'd be better off counting the clicks on the shift lever instead of going by the pointer in the cluster. Worth a shot anyway.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                Welcome!

yeah scott mangs trans guys name is brian he does great work I got mine rebuilt from him. he's in pottstown

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                X