Installing Subwoofer, need RCA output but don't have any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Subwoofer, need RCA output but don't have any

This is my first post! So i've got an '89 marquis with some nice body rot, a cracked vinyl top, in need of fuel injector cleaning and plenty of other things, so of course the first thing i want to do is put in a 2 x 12 subwoofer. Duhh.

Problem: I have the stock head unit in there (E8DF-19B132-AA) which has the two stock connectors with all the colored wires and then i guess the power cable on the other side, but I need to run RCA cables to my amplifier. It doesn't have RCA outputs and I'm wondering if anyone has done any sort of soldering or used any sort of convertors to do this. What I did see is this extra yellow wire with three inputs slightly larger than RCA and I'm wondering if I can somehow use that. It's connected to the plastic wire arranger thingy....specifically its the 4th wire down, so it goes directly into the head unit.

I'd really like to avoid buying a new head unit, but if that's my only option, make a suggestion for me.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    My 1989 Ford Mercury Grandmarquis!sigpic

you would need something like this

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...udio_B65N.aspx

It takes speaker level and converts it into RCA level for your sub woofers amplifier. Your amplifier should have a remote or something to allow you to control the levels of the sub woofer from the drivers seat though.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phishywun View Post
      What I did see is this extra yellow wire with three inputs slightly larger than RCA and I'm wondering if I can somehow use that.
      This is not audio at all, its a key-on power plug to power accessories.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Youll want a better head unit to drive the woofer regardless, I have a cheap Panasonic that does ok, Do you have and amp?, no offense but I would wait on the stereo and fix the rust and injectors first, unless this stuff was free or something. Anyway the stock head probably wont do anything justice, especially when amplified. Youll have to get a schematic and figure out wich wires are speakers, youll have to splice them somehow to still send signal to the normal speakers then through an rca to the sub or amp. Normally you could run the rca off the head to the amp then to all 4 speakers wich is easier but if you just want the sub its going to be a bit of a chore. I have a bazooka tube as my system is cheap anyway so that was just a matter of buying the ford harness that splits it for you. Sorry if im not clear, if i knew your setup i could help you a bit more.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

best bet is to just get a aftermarket stereo then judging form the plugs you should be able to just get a wireing harness and then plug the aftermarket into that, just check to see if it common ground if it is youll need to hardwire pretty much everything, if not then you can just use the plug with an adapter
          any sub i have ever put in with i line level converter just really sounds kinda crappy in my opinion, it is best to just use the stocker for now till you can install a new deck. it will be alot easier.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

its gonna sound like shit if you dont put in a new head unit. Plus it avoids headaches, swearing, breaking things with sledge hammers, you get the idea.
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

^ I second that, it can be done but its not going to have enough pre amp power to drive anything, even a cheap head would work for your purposes. Its just too much of a pain to use the stock deck. Im going to upgrade to an all alpine system later on, im riding on what my car came with though right now wich is a cheap panasonic head, some infinity front speakers with bass canceler pots ( not really a crossover ) and some infinity 3 way rears with internal crossovers, then the bazooka tube i bought from a friend for 100 bucks. Stereo kicks but its not the best quality, although for cheap speakers the infinities take a pretty good beating.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If you are going to do that, might as well replace all the speakers and run new wiring. The wiring isn't exactly the best thing from the factory.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
                  If you are going to do that, might as well replace all the speakers and run new wiring. The wiring isn't exactly the best thing from the factory.
                  I agree 100%.

run all new wires to a new deck and do it right the first time.. you'll regret it if you dont.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                    I agree 100%.

run all new wires to a new deck and do it right the first time.. you'll regret it if you dont.
                    Put a 700 dollar system without a woofer in my moms car (85 olds) she had no radio in the car for a few years and me being the good kid i am decided to spend some money on her for xmas last year. Anyway long story short- no amp just a good deck (pioneer) and some kicker rears and polk audio fronts. Well it was left with the factory wiring from 85..... there was no power supply to the radio for whatever reason so i needed to splice it off the cigarette lighter. Now the radio goes out when you open the trunk... However the door buzzer that stopped working about a decade ago works now for some mysterious reason known only to the GM gods. Anyway it works well but goes to show that if i had the time i would have re wired the car.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

These guys are right - for one you wouldn't be getting a very clean or strong signal to the sub's amps doing it this way (converted from factory speaker level inputs)
                      Plus it wont sound that great anyway because you will have to keep the gain (level) on this amp waaaaaay down because cranking up the factory headunit to get the sub to produce is going to push the limit of the stock head unit and speakers.

Newer cars can get away with this because they generally got half decent stereos and speakers in them.

If you have the time and patience to wait until you have some extra cash (if lack of funds is an issue) you will be much more pleased with even a mid-level aftermarket head unit and speakers.

My stereo is all mix-and-match mid level stuff... the only thing even close to higher end are the Alpine tweeters and amps...
                      Everyone that rides with me is amazed at the sound, its only a 600w RMS system and it stays clear and sounding good up to levels where it starts to hurt a little.
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah i was afraid to hear it, but i guess im gonna wait on the stereo. I got plenty of other things to do in the mean time, so in a few months i guess i'll put some money into it. If anyone has a specific suggestion for a decent aftermarket head unit lemme know. My budget is $100 and i'd like a way to plug in a MP3 directly, whether it be a DI or tape deck.

thanks everyone!
                        My 1989 Ford Mercury Grandmarquis!sigpic

Comment

Lots of affordable head units out there with aux inputs on the face and even USB flash stick inputs.
                          I usually check best buy online or Crutchfield for discontinued closeouts. Crutchfeilds also includes free install kits and/or shipping for head units over $125 or so, last I saw.
                          sigpic

Comment

My panasonic was like 70 bucks and has rca out on the back. Says 25 watts a channel but that is a lie, it has to do with the resistance your running through the system and impedance, basically if you can get that down in ohms you could run it at that but that sucker would be way too hot and it would probably break. Anyway you don't need much to drive the amp. As much as i hate to say it if your going for cheap check wal-mart. Dont buy an amp or sub from them though i know it says like 10billion watts of power but that is peak the rms (constant rating) is always like 40 watts at most.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Ive got a JVC headunit in currently, and it has an aux input on the front. I got mine on sale for 80 bucks, but anymore they are 120 plus. I like it, works until I have the money for a reeeeally good system. If you want bang for the buck, go with pioneer. Their head units run in the 100-150 dollar range, and they kick ass. If you really want go broke, go with alpine. I cant tell you much about speakers, because Im having a hell of a time with mine (pioneers on the shelf and doors)
                              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X