Tell me your thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me your thoughts.

Ok so im starting college next year and ive got some big plans for when i graduate. Im looking at putting a 351 in my car after my senior year. (My goal is to have college paid within a year of graduation) so ive got to not spend all my money right now, plus i cant afford to have my car tied up. Long story short what kind of power do you think i can get out of a windsor 351, whats the major differences between it and a Cleveland block. What are some good transmission and rear end choices.... Anything else you can think of, I basically want to re build this engine from an older f series truck. Money wont be too much of a hindrance because this is going to be built outside the car, Also im never buying a new car ever (unless its a caterham or mazeratti, but i still dont think itl be new). So i just assume make this my toy, and drive a pile around town. Anyways figured i could start accruing parts slowly during college so i had some sort of a start when i got everything payed off. (sorry if some questions have obvious answers, i know my way around a motor, but i dont know necessarily how parts will work out together.) I figure this will be a good conversation piece for the other users as well. Thanks.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Your car's motor got very low miles, dont try to wasting money to put 351W in it. You can find lighting intake or Explorer's intake (5.0).

any idea?
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Yeah, but id rather build an engine outside the car and drop it in, I also dont know how much more performance you can get out of a HO conversion, and id rather have a lower revving engine with more torque cause these cars are beasts to begin with.. But believe me i know what you mean about the low miles, do keep in mind it wont be even close to being put in for probably 5 years. Maybe you guys could sway my decision though.....?
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I could build pumpgas 351's to make 500hp at the flywheel all day. It's going to come down to how much coin you can spend on the motor.

Transmission options? Do you want a standard or an automatic? Pretty much anything you can put behind a 302 will work behind a 351w since they both use the same bellhousing.

Comment

Hmm alright, What kind of money are we talking though. I mean i know its going to be an investment id never get my money back from, but this car is going to last me a while. Will a stock tranny handle around 300 Hp i know the rear end will? Thanks for the info.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Well do you want to use efi or a carburetor?

Provided you get a decent shortblock from someone, all you really need to add is a set of forged pistons as the rods and crank are good to upwards of 600+hp. More or less they are just as strong as the block but the stock pistons leave much to be desired. I have seen people get away with north of 500hp on the stock replacement 351 pistons however.

Total cost for a pumpgas 500hp 351 ? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5k if using efi i would guess. Should be less, but i usually add a little to account for unexpected expenses that usually come up during a build.

Comment

Actually less than i thought, granted id want to go limited slip, and maybe change the gears in the rear end. I want to do things right, but i have a feeling its going to be one of those projects that goes on forever. To answer your question EFI.
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                Actually less than i thought, granted id want to go limited slip, and maybe change the gears in the rear end. I want to do things right, but i have a feeling its going to be one of those projects that goes on forever. To answer your question EFI.
                Use this car as a daily driver, and then buy something else after you get out of college.

You don't combine a daily driver and a hot rod, unless you have a hell of a lot of money, and if that's the case, you'll own more than one vehicle anyway.

Do a few mods, while working with the existing equipment, and then leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  Use this car as a daily driver, and then buy something else after you get out of college.

You don't combine a daily driver and a hot rod, unless you have a hell of a lot of money, and if that's the case, you'll own more than one vehicle anyway.

Do a few mods, while working with the existing equipment, and then leave it alone.
                  True words.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                    You don't combine a daily driver and a hot rod.

Comment

this thread sounds a lot like me about a month ago. Trust me when I say I started saving for a 351, then I found how cheap it basically is to upgrade the current engine. Just stock explorer parts alone with FRPP headers and a good exhause will net you in the neighborhood of 300hp. If you get bored with that, upgrade the manfifold and heads. The explorer setup cost can vary, it all depends where you get the parts from. If you can find the engine components fairly cheap, this can be a 500-600 build. If your prices are anything like they are around here, be about 800. 300hp and a k-code rear-end (3.55 limited slip gearing) paired with a good shift kit I have heard is a really fun car. And you can get that in the neighborhood of a grand to 1200. You might want to go with discs in the back and the big brake swap up front.

If you are dead set on a 351, build a stroker. Outlaw440 basically outlined me on it, and he can provide you a link with a build on a 351 stroker (408 I think) on a budget. Granted they used a carb, but if you want to go efi, you have 3 options. 1. use a truck intake, and have a massive cowl hood. 2. use an f150 lightning intake, very rare and expensive, good luck. or 3. use a super victor intake and throttle body elbow. That would be good for at least 600hp with the right heads and cam. Pluses to a 351 is they can withsatnd power better than a stock 302 block. But the 302 will be cheaper if you arent looking for that much power. if you are looking for 500 plus, go 351, if you want it in the 300-400 range, stay with the 302. Note, the stock pistons in our lopo 302s are not good for much. If you have the chance, and you are going for the 302, get stock mustang pistons, or some aftermarket ones from summit or jegs
                      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post

I'm sure those Hoosiers have an 'all-season' rating, lol.

Comment

My point being, in a day and age where 400-500hp cars are being pumped out of the factory by the masses, 500hp for a 'street car' is nothing nowadays.

That mustang depicted above is probably making somewhere in the neighborhood of 850hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
                            My point being, in a day and age where 400-500hp cars are being pumped out of the factory by the masses, 500hp for a 'street car' is nothing nowadays.

That mustang depicted above is probably making somewhere in the neighborhood of 850hp.
                            Okay, please recall that the originator of this thread is a college student on a bit of a budget....

Comment

If your set on a 351 also I would say go super vic with a medium height elbow, its a cheaper package than the 93-95 lightning intake. Also the super vic with a medium height elbow is only a 1/2'' taller than the lightning intake I have both and I measured lol. So in theory A super vic should fit under the stock hood. Or I hope it does for my sake anyway lol. Back on subject haha. I would say since your budget is limited do a H.O. swap or an exploder swap, with some good exhaust, a good tranny, and a descent gear. Thats enough to satisfy most. and cheaper than a 351 swap.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X