How to clean the MAF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean the MAF.

Materials required: One can of electrical contact cleaner, and a T20 Tamper-proof TORX bit

1. Locate the MAF assembly.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector completely.

3. Using the TORX driver, remove the two screws that secure the sensor element.

4. Carefully pull the sensor element straight up and out of the body

5. Carefully inspect the sensor to verify that there are two cross wires running from one terminal to the other (about 1/2" long), if either are missing, damaged, bent, or broken, the MAF assembly must be replaced as a unit. Do not touch the wires.

6. Clean off any deposits, junk, or oil from the sensor terminals on the post using the electrical contact cleaner. Not the electrical connector area!

7. Allow to dry completely

8. Carefully insert sensor element into body and secure with screws you removed earlier

9. Re-attach the electrical connector

10. Start the engine, and ensure everything operates normally, road test for performance.
    -Michael

You do not need to remove the screws if you have the cleaner with the red plastic hose like wd40 has. you can spray right in the small hole where the wires-filaments are exposed, them you dont risk breaking off the screws, I had this happen once, it sucked ass! I recommend to reset the EEC, so it can relearn the fuel curve, and adaptations done by the "new readings". Pretty good article over all. :banana:

Comment

^^^ + 2 on the computer reset....

Good Day
      1993 GM LS 244K
      29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
      All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Working...
      X