2004 GM that sat for 2-3 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 GM that sat for 2-3 years

I recently purchased a 2004 Grand Marquis LS with 34k miles for only $5,000. It was sitting between 2 and 3 years and wouldn't start. So far I've replaced the battery, fuel pump, drained all the gas out, put air in the tires, and had it detailed. I am going to have the oil changed and the tires balanced. It now runs surprising well but I'm concerned that other things could be wrong with it or could go wrong with it. The only thing not working at all is the moon roof.

I plan to put in a can of Seafoam and bring it to a mechanic to check up on it. Any suggestions to what should be looked at besides the following?

Fuel Filter
    Belts
    Coolant

Thank you in advance!
    1966 Pontiac GTO
    1996 Chevrolet Caprice
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Change the diff fluid. Just like motor oil, sitting is bad for diff fluid.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Its also about due for a trans service, and I would have the brake fluid flushed too. Nobody ever changes brake fluid, but it sucks up moisture and drastically lowers the boiling point.

Replace the fuel filter too.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Its also about due for a trans service, and I would have the brake fluid flushed too. Nobody ever changes brake fluid, but it sucks up moisture and drastically lowers the boiling point.

Replace the fuel filter too.
        I never heard of brake issues from not changing brake fluid...Even in the jungle humid heat in Miami...Same thing with P/S fluid...With that said I did let the dealer talk me into changing the brake fluid at 60K miles but have no plans on doing it again.

I put 300K miles on 88 Town Car and 200K miles on a 99 Grand Marquis and never changed the brake fluid or power steering fluid as a maintenance item....I do not know anybody who does it as a regular maintenance thing.
        [2] 05 C.V.L.X.
        07 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I do.
          But good score on the MGM! Good luck mang!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Nice find..
            2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
            85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
            07 JCL 250 A Scooter
            79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Working...
            X