upgrading valvetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading valvetrain

so is it pointless to upgrade the pushrods valvesprings and retainers if you dont upgrade the valves
    Last edited by import convert; 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM.

No, but its pointless to upgrade that stuff if you don't upgrade the cam. That has far more to do with what springs and pushrods you need than the valves do. Spring pressure is related to lift, and pushrod length is related to lifter preload and rocker contact pattern. That also goes along with rocker arm shims. The spring pressure needs to be selected for your particular cam and rocker arm configuration and intended max RPM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well right now im looking at an explorer cam and 1.7 roller rockers. mostly i want to free up some valvetrain weight and help the engine rev a little better but i know i shouldnt need anything special for a stock cam.

Comment

i figure something like that would be good

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-2500100/

Comment

stock springs ought to be fine for that cam, but you can change the springs if you'd like. Its not really going to do very much as far as lightening the valvetrain though.

What heads are you running? If they're E6 heads, pitching those in the scrap bin will do more to help things rev than changing the springs will.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

im gonna gasket match some e7s (edlebrock performer rpm air gap and hooker shorties) the best i can.

so it cant hurt to upgrade the valve trian but not really needed is what youre saying

Comment

Comp cams beehive springs with accompanying retainers/locks.

'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
              X