4R70W OD problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4R70W OD problems.

The Cougar has been shifting like a champ, but 1350 miles into my 1400 mile trip north, it started slipping its way into overdrive... it revs freely for a few seconds before shifting solidly into OD. All the other gears are fine and dandy, though. Is this thing fuckered, or is there an easy fix to this? The car may be making an appointment with the local salvage yard in the very near future at this rate... Also, I drove all the way from Tennessee on 7 cylinders- talk about obnoxious vibrations. I hate auto zone plug wires with a passion.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
    1997 Jeep Cherokee

check the fluid level, and try a bottle of lubegaurd maybe. i think its the red one you want, but it should tell you what fluids its compatible with.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a slip before OD and then sometimes it would drop out of it too, No flashing OD light .

A new MLPS fixed it.

That was in my 97.

Its location

And proper alignment.

Comment

Thanks! Now, where do I get a new MLPS, and what the hell does MLPS stand for?!

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

From an article on TCCoA, I found that if I am having difficulty shifting into or out of OD, I should read TSB 95-5-15. Does it tell me what this TSB says? Hell no. Does it tell me where to find this TSB? Shit no. Can I find this TSB on my own? Fuck no.

Can anyone help me on this TSB?!

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-acquired-used

Use this link and then scroll down to find 95-5-15. Give it a second as it seems slow to open the page. The TSB is towards the bottom.

You can get a new MLPS from Ford, or maybe even AutoZone. And it stands for Manual Lever Position Sensor.

Jay
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Hi Moneypit

My AODE did that just before the direct clutch exploded

Regards

Dereck
              President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

If you decide to pursue the MLPS then AVOID anything but Motorcraft. The voltage tolerances are so tight on that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                  If you decide to pursue the MLPS then AVOID anything but Motorcraft. The voltage tolerances are so tight on that thing.
                  As long as it's cheap and works long enough for the new owner to take a test drive...:smirk:

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post
                    As long as it's cheap and works long enough for the new owner to take a test drive...:smirk:

You're a dick

If you get the less expensive one from Napa make sure they have the two "spacers" for the mounting position in the bag/box too. Napa carries a lot of "dealer only" parts.

Pull them PCM fuse or the battery ground while you swap it out too.

Comment

MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                        And it stands for Manual Lever Position Sensor.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                          You're a dick

If you get the less expensive one from Napa make sure they have the two "spacers" for the mounting position in the bag/box too. Napa carries a lot of "dealer only" parts.

Pull them PCM fuse or the battery ground while you swap it out too.
                          lol...

I talked to the future owner, and explained the MLPS problem and that a replacement is only about $65. I think he'll take the car and replace it himself. I'm probably going to be losing money now, though... since I had a deal with him to give me the $650 I had tied up in the car, but now I'll probably only get $500 for it.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                          X