Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering an Amplifier Through a Fuse Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering an Amplifier Through a Fuse Box?

My amplifier currently is powered right off of the battery with 4 gauge wire and a 60 amp cylindrical fuse. If I were to give power to my amplifier through a under hood fuse box (through a 60 amp maxi fuse) will it be receiving the amount of power it needs?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

I wouldn't... you are going to be severely current limited by the small wire going into that fuse box... Id worry about it getting hot.
    Whats the RMS rating on the amp?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
      I wouldn't... you are going to be severely current limited by the small wire going into that fuse box... Id worry about it getting hot.
      Whats the RMS rating on the amp?

I dont know the RMS but here is a link to the exact model I have installed. Says nothing about RMS from what I can find. http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/Jens...=POWERPLUS1304

And I wouldnt use the stock sized wires coming out of the fuse box, I would solder the big 4 gauge wire to one of the maxi fuse connectors and then shove it into the box.

Still dont know if that would be able to power it though. Just thinking about this as a way to really clean up the engine bay.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Even if you do manage to get a huge wire into that fusebox, the connector attaching it to the power bar may be a weak point. Especially being that's a high peak power, probably non class D amp.
        I just hooked mine onto the input stud on the fuse box where the alternator charge wire goes on mine, and in the box's original application. I'm sure you can find somewhere to hide a fuseholder!
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just thought it would be neat to have it hidden like that. I will just leave it as is. Waiting on those other connectors then I will get this show on the road.
          Thanks for your input Pete.
          ~David~

Comment

1300 watts peak is 919 RMS. peak * .707 = rms.

Anyway, being an AB amp, it sucks more power. Sounds better than class D, but they're inefficient from a power standpoint. Manual gives 80 amps as peak power demand, which makes sense from a basic power standpoint, 13v * 80a = 1040w. Figure in a fuse safety factor and heat losses in the amp circuitry and ~920 watts rms is believable.

One thing I don't understand is that the model 1302 says 60 amps max, and 6 ga wire minimum. The 1304 says 80 amps max, 8 ga wire minimum. 8 ga is thinner, and that makes no sense to pull more current through less wire. I'd probably just say 6 ga minimum. As long as nothing is smaller than 6 ga between the battery and the amp, you ought to be good. I did have a cheapo fuse holder on my car at one time that used maxi fuses. The holder melted because the contacts on the fuse just weren't good enough to handle that kind of constant current load.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I did have a cheapo fuse holder on my car at one time that used maxi fuses. The holder melted because the contacts on the fuse just weren't good enough to handle that kind of constant current load.
              I for damn sure have my answer now.

I also noticed the weird recommended fuse and wire gauge size to power the amp.
              ~David~

Comment

Working...
              X