Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size piping should I use for an intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size piping should I use for an intake?

A cone would make my driving experience that much better. This is by far the quietest V8 I've ever encountered. I like it, if it weren't for the fact that the stock airbox feeds this beast air through a small inlet that looks around the same size as the one equipped on my Sentra! Speaking of which, I made a custom setup for it and fabbed it using Spectre parts from Autozone. Hypothetically speaking, if I was to use presumably the biggest filter that they supply, would a three-inch extension pipe (Added to the factory MAF adapter to house the second sensor, which I'm guessing is an IAT) do the job? Or do I need to special order a full intake tube from the throttlebody and on? I'd like to keep everything from the MAF back stock, for simplicities' sake.
    2002 Nissan Sentra 1.8L (QG powa!)
    2000 Mercury Grand Marquis (V8 love)

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25194

This is a good mod for great airflow. You can vary things up a bit as required. Looks like a PI tube would do good. The GMQ's usually have all the ribbing and shit that makes them quieter.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

A Spectre air filter dirtied a guys MAF. I had to clean it as his car ran like shit.

Blow that thing out really good before you use it. Which I don't advise you even do to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25194

This is a good mod for great airflow. You can vary things up a bit as required. Looks like a PI tube would do good. The GMQ's usually have all the ribbing and shit that makes them quieter.
        That was a well written thread. (I read through it before posting this question, believe it or not.) So it's the ribbing on the rubbery intake tube that helps silence the charge? Interesting...

I actually don't mind the ribbing silencing it a little. I kinda like it to be quiet until I kick down the gas pedal, even if it isn't the most effecient tract to add a cone on the end. Case-and-point, here is the setup on my Sentra:

Note: The engine bay is much cleaner now.

The grand total was around $45 dollars before tax, a couple of trips to Autozone for parts, and the several hours it took a friend and me to systematically obliterating the box that was once there. I was more than satisfied by the results. But really, it's the size of the tube that I'll install after the MAF that I'm curious about. Maybe I worded my question wrongly. Simply put: I just want to know what diameter tube to tag onto the MAF so that I can house the IAT in it. Considering the fact that the MAF tube appears to be three inches, I think I might just put another one on there as an extension.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, this site rocks dude.
        Last edited by El Duende; 01-23-2010, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
          A Spectre air filter dirtied a guys MAF. I had to clean it as his car ran like shit.

Blow that thing out really good before you use it. Which I don't advise you even do to begin with.
          I'll make a note of it. So far, I know someone who has one as part of his setup. No problems to speak of. I did read, however, that oiled filters are rumored to trash MAF's. As long as I don't overdo the oil when it comes time to service it, the filter shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

rip the inverted funnel thing out of the bottom of the stock airbox. it does nothing other than restrict airflow and make it quieter. Free mods FTW.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              rip the inverted funnel thing out of the bottom of the stock airbox. it does nothing other than restrict airflow and make it quieter. Free mods FTW.
              For sure. There's no point in keeping all that mess.

Comment

i wish i could post a pic of the Tank's intake, but i cant. im stuck on the usaf network in florida for the next 120 days. oh well.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                  i wish i could post a pic of the Tank's intake, but i cant. im stuck on the usaf network in florida for the next 120 days. oh well.
                  No worries. Do you have any in your RR thread?

Comment

Originally posted by El Duende View Post
                    I'll make a note of it. So far, I know someone who has one as part of his setup. No problems to speak of. I did read, however, that oiled filters are rumored to trash MAF's. As long as I don't overdo the oil when it comes time to service it, the filter shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.
                    K&N killed my MAF also. It wasn't a problem with me over-oiling it, just stock K&N juice.
                    Awesome Electronic Cigarettes
                    Stable: 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 4x4
                    1990 Dodge Power Ram W150 4x4
                    1984 Grand Marquis Two Door Lowrider
                    1983 Crown Victoria Two Door

Comment

Originally posted by El Duende View Post
                      No worries. Do you have any in your RR thread?
                      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=18521

first post. im not sure if it helps or not.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=18521

first post. im not sure if it helps or not.
                        Ah, I've seen that engine before! (Roaming around the site.) Thanks for the link. I find it's always beneficial to look at someone else's setup as a basis for my own.

Comment

Working...
                        X