Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think the thermostat in the GM is shot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the thermostat in the GM is shot.

When your car is warmed up, where does the needle rest? Is it in the middle? The one in mine goes up 1/4 of the entire guage and takes a while to get there. I've checked the Hayne's and owner's manuals, but they didn't specify where the needle should be.
    2002 Nissan Sentra 1.8L (QG powa!)
    2000 Mercury Grand Marquis (V8 love)

the gauges are kind of vauge in these. The one in my Towncar sits dead center with a 15 degree colder than stock thermostat, and the one in my Mark VII sits on the N in Normal with a stock thermostat. If it takes more than about 5-10 minutes to get there, I wouldn't be surprised if its stuck open.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, does it take a long time? Do you have heat?

But I mean honestly, if you have any doubts about it you might as well replace it... its like $12 and takes 10 minutes to do...
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        the gauges are kind of vauge in these. The one in my Towncar sits dead center with a 15 degree colder than stock thermostat, and the one in my Mark VII sits on the N in Normal with a stock thermostat. If it takes more than about 5-10 minutes to get there, I wouldn't be surprised if its stuck open.
        So it seems. The "oil" guage makes no specific referrance. What about the oil? The needle is consistently resting in the middle.

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
        Yeah, does it take a long time? Do you have heat?

But I mean honestly, if you have any doubts about it you might as well replace it... its like $12 and takes 10 minutes to do...
        It takes a bit, that's for sure. My Sentra takes close to 5 minutes to warm-up under chilly conditions, (Like we have now) so I based it off of that. As for the heater, I noticed that even with the knob at its furthermost heat setting, the charge was rather lukewarm. I'm taking your advice just because it's cheap insurance.
        2002 Nissan Sentra 1.8L (QG powa!)
        2000 Mercury Grand Marquis (V8 love)

Comment

yeah. When the t-stat is stuck open, the car really can't warm up the way it's supposed to. that's why you get lukewarm air coming through. so, so snag a new t-stat and o-ring and you'll be good.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

The gauges on these things are sort of on a bell-curve. The range in the middle is much larger than the range on the high and low end. They are designed to show more or less in the middle if they're warm enough to run right, and only ever show below normal when dead-cold and above normal when you're genuinely overheating. They do this to keep people from coming into the dealer during warrantee period worried that their car is overheating. running at 175F will probably show about the same as 210F or so, but when they get into the danger zone (I don't know where that is on these cars), you'll see the needle get pegged very quickly. The opposite is true on the cold end of the gauge.

Anyways, like others have said, it's so cheap you might as well do it just in case.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yeah, El Duende did you get it and put it in? Was that the issue?
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
              X