Buying a whale. What years are worthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a whale. What years are worthy?

Looking into getting a whale. I'm going for an '03+ P71. I like the '06+ factory tach, but not the DBW. What years do you like, and why?

Anyone here prefer the '98 to '02 instead of the '03+? As long as it's not an NPI, I don't mind.

I've always heard that 04 is the best, just because all of the 03 bugs were worked out, and it's the last year before DBW.
    If I was going to get a whale, I'd go for an 03+ for sure. Plus you can fit long tube headers on them!
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Never having driven anything newer than an '01, I can't comment on the upgraded handling of the '03+ or the upgraded performance of the '04+, but I will say that I've been fairly happy with both on my '01. I do, however, think that upgrading to 17" wheels (which, IIRC, only became an option in '06) would be a noticeable improvement in handling. Perhaps a set of Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger steelies would be a viable option in that department.

Hmmm, I was really hoping this post would be more helpful and informative. Oh well.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

newest panther i have worked on is an 03 grand marquis, so dont know how reliable they are

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          I've driven 2007 & 8 GM sedans. They didn't handle better than my scottified 89 box, were no easier on gas, no better performance, much worse windshield design (the sun was ALWAYS in your eyes), but much better brakes and safety features. Sure as hell weren't worth 25k more.

Donald McCaig
          1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Some of them have timing chain issues. You can probably read alot about that on CVN. I seem to have read something about it that issue a few months ago. Not sure what years had that issue though.

I'd want the '06+ just because its newer. DBW blows chunks, but I could get used to it. The 17" steelies look far better than the '03-'05 16" steelies (I'd definitely do the newer wheels on an '03-'05 car). Also, the '03-'05 wheels were very prone to cracking. Those cars went through alot of recalls on the wheels. We're talking the wheels were replaced 3 times on the '04 parts car my Dad bought. It has 66K miles. The paperwork for wheel recall was in the glovebox... 3 times!

I am fond of the '98-'02 whales as well. My Dad has a '99 P71 (NPI, 3.55s), and it is quite zippy. It pings on 87 though; I've been the told that the '99 had a more aggressive timing table than the earlier and later cars. Not sure if there is truth in that or not.

I'm sure the newer cars are better handling, smoother, and quicker ('05/'06+ is 250 hp).

I thought about getting an '06+ retired CT State trooper car for a while. I was thinking the 3.27 axle would be great for economy.

TOTCG! Tired of the Redezvous so soon????
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I know the '01s have the timing chain problem, because we experienced it on my dad's car. Mine has been okay so far, but we'll see what happens there. I believe anything after '01 is safe.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                I've always heard that 04 is the best, just because all of the 03 bugs were worked out, and it's the last year before DBW.
                If I was going to get a whale, I'd go for an 03+ for sure. Plus you can fit long tube headers on them!
                I am trying to stay away from the '03 for this and also other reasons. Long tubes FTW!

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                I do, however, think that upgrading to 17" wheels (which, IIRC, only became an option in '06) would be a noticeable improvement in handling. Perhaps a set of Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger steelies would be a viable option in that department.
                I am the anti-whacker. The P71 will get civilian wheels. No dog dishes for this one. I do like the 17's, though. Did you know LX platform wheels are not exactly a proper fit for the '03+ Panther? They will bolt up, but the fit is not ideal.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                newest panther i have worked on is an 03 grand marquis, so dont know how reliable they are
                Hopefully that is a good sign.

Originally posted by yucatecd View Post
                Dear Panthers,
                I've driven 2007 & 8 GM sedans. They didn't handle better than my scottified 89 box, were no easier on gas, no better performance, much worse windshield design (the sun was ALWAYS in your eyes), but much better brakes and safety features. Sure as hell weren't worth 25k more.

Donald McCaig
                Scottified boxes are a force to be reckoned with. I agree it's not worth $25k more, however that is not my price target. If it were, I would buy the new P71 with 15 miles on it, or the LWB P70 with 56 miles on it that are at the local Ford dealers here. They seem to pop up all the time.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Some of them have timing chain issues.

I'd want the '06+ just because its newer. DBW blows chunks, but I could get used to it. The 17" steelies look far better than the '03-'05 16" steelies (I'd definitely do the newer wheels on an '03-'05 car). Also, the '03-'05 wheels were very prone to cracking.

TOTCG! Tired of the Redezvous so soon????
                I'm familiar with the timing chain issues from having the MK8. Unfortunately, that issue killed my old MK8 once it was in the hands of a new owner. I agree on the wheels. They will go because of my anti-wacker desires, and also the structural problems they seem to have.

TOTCRBN, I will always bitch about GM and how it's retarded engineering plagues my RDV. However, the RDV is not the one going. If I play my cards right, the Fusion is.

I'm looking for this to be my new DD. If I get one for the right price, I will be able to eventually pick up a 3rd car as a project/track slut of some sort. Believe it or not, this one is going to stay stock, unless repairs are needed and something else is available that improves on the stock components.

Thanks to all that posted. When the right one comes along, you all will be the first to know.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  I am the anti-whacker. The P71 will get civilian wheels. No dog dishes for this one. I do like the 17's, though. Did you know LX platform wheels are not exactly a proper fit for the '03+ Panther? They will bolt up, but the fit is not ideal.
                  Yes, I was aware of that. I need to stop posting things on here at 1 am.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                    Yes, I was aware of that. I need to stop posting things on here at 1 am.
                    You were aware of my anti-wacker tendencies? Or the LX wheel issue?
                    Last edited by torquelover; 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

The LX wheel issue. The anti-whacker tendencies (or hypothetical lack thereof) was something to which I'd never given much, if any, thought.

Comment

I drive an 03 LX Sport, and I like it much better over the '00 I was looking at. It seems to handle a bit better (love the R&P steering) and the 17" alloy wheels seem to fit nicely. The 3.27's out back are decent on gas but still give it some extra go when needed. If I have to replace the rear, I would still probably upgrade to a 3.55 trac-loc though.

And yes, the 03 has it's issues but overall mine hasn't been horrible. The only issues I've had so far with just over 100K on the clock is replacing the pass. side axle/bearing, the radio for some odd reason, and of course the o-rings in the EATC module (common on the 03+ cars). Even with these issues, I still don't think I would be happier in an older model.

Sure, I wanted an '04, but in this area at the time there was only 3 LX Sports for sale, and this one had what I wanted and a price I could afford.

Just my .02...
                        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I talked to a PA State Trooper on the 03 & up models the steelies from 03 to 05`s has cracked for rims 06 & up are the best for rims,, But on the 03`s they had rear end problems being the 1st year on the 2nd generation Whales 04 to present is the way to go,, But I own the 1st generation Whale on the old plateform 98 to 02 & I tend to like them better for the deep dish rims like the HPP`s ,, but both generations are great Panthers overall..
                          2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                          85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                          07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                          79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

WTF is DBW?
                            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Drive by wire. No throttle cable, just a position sensor at the pedal and an actuator of some sort at the throttle. Its that stuff thats getting all the Toyotas recalled.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X