Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if your car has limited slip dif??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know if your car has limited slip dif??

How do I know if my 99 Grand Marquis has a limited slip differential? I was going to change my dif oil, and the guy at the parts store said there is an extra additive if there is a limited slip.
    sigpic

Get both rear tires in the air. While in park, spin a tire. If it spins freely, or with little to no effort, it's an open diff or a dead LSD. Neither of which will need a friction modifier.

Comment

Do a burn out, if its one lone smoking tire mark its open rear dif, or you could do it the lame way above.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
        Do a burn out, if its one lone smoking tire mark its open rear dif, or you could do it the lame way above.
        Plenty of LSD cars will only burn one tire. Limited, not unlimited slip.

Comment

You can tell by the axle code on the driver's door.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Jack up one rear wheel (trans in neutral). Try and spin it by hand. If it turns easily, its an regular rear end. If you can't turn it, or it takes a lot of effort to turn it you have a limited slip.

Alex.

Comment

Jack up one back tire off the ground. Put car in gear. If it jumps off the jack it is limited slip.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                Plenty of LSD cars will only burn one tire. Limited, not unlimited slip.
                Yeah sorry I was thinking posi. My bad but I never discourage doing burnouts.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If you're changing the fluid, you'll see it when you get the cover off. If theres a funky S shaped spring in the middle, its a traction lock. No spring, no traction lock.

Or just read the axle code off the door sticker.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yup rip a burnout, then if one tire spins you can check further and jack up the diff and if its an open rear when you turn a tire the opposite side will turn in the opposite direction quite easily, if you can't turn it she's Limited slip. at least all said and done you have ripped a burnout anyways
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Ahah yeah ripping burnouts is always good. Especially in "Granny cars".
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Look at the sticker on the edge of the drivers door, and make a note of your "AXE" code.

Then look at my sig and see what you've got,
                        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

When the traction lock is really tired, you're not going to spin both tires. My car's was totally fried when I got it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                            Yeah sorry I was thinking posi. My bad but I never discourage doing burnouts.
                            LSD = Limited Slip Differential. Alernate terms based on manufacturer's brand names include Posi, Trak-Lok, Twin Spin, Shur-Grip, and others. Normally these terms refer only to a clutch-type limited slip, and everyone who's had one agrees that these have distinct limits to the amount of torque they can distribute when one wheel has lost traction. And obviously, once the clutch material is worn out, it won't distribute any torque at all. Blaze86Vic wrote several great posts about differentials a while back, which IIRC are in a sticky in the suspension forum.

Other types of differential that come readily to mind include:

Spool or mini spool (no differential action at all)
                            Torsen (gear-type torque biasing)
                            Locker (said to make a ratcheting noise while turning and be far from smooth in transition)
                            Air locker (pump it down it's an open, pump it up and it drives like a spool)
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah my knowledge is kind of limited, I basically know the terms as open - Nothing locks, LSD - Some type of clutch to control locking, and posi - Power to both wheels at all times.

Ill check that sticky.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X