Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions?

The headlights on my town car are decent, slighty dim I plan to change them soon what kind do u guys recommend?

I was think the cool blue by slyvania? ( prob misspelled)
    something nice and looks good ( not really a HID kit )

The first thing I would check is how much voltage you're getting at the lamps. More than likely, you aren't getting full battery voltage, which is what's making them dim. A relay conversion will make a big difference in the light output.

I don't know how electrically inclined you are, but if you want to do it, here's the basic idea.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I like the Slyvainia Silver Star Ultras. They rock. Thats what i have in the Marauder.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        I like the Slyvainia Silver Star Ultras. They rock. Thats what i have in the Marauder.
        :stupid:

Thats what I got. Love em. The are brighter than the cool blues.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
          The first thing I would check is how much voltage you're getting at the lamps. More than likely, you aren't getting full battery voltage, which is what's making them dim. A relay conversion will make a big difference in the light output.

I don't know how electrically inclined you are, but if you want to do it, here's the basic idea.
          I'd do his suggestion first, and then install these on the front bumper:
          http://www.searchlightsvancouver.com...nformation.htm

Comment

The electrical is fine the lights just suck I want something that shines

Comment

Actually, the stock headlight wiring does suck. I have some perfectly good Sylvania Silver Stars in my Vic, but they're quite dim because of the resistance of the factory wiring, which forces the current to take a torturous route up the p/s fenderwell, through the dash, through the headlight switch itself, through the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH (!), and finally up to the lights. A relay will allow the current to go directly from the battery to the lights to ground, and reports of 3-volt gains at the headlights themselves seem to be fairly common.

BTW, someone has a link around here about how "blue" headlights often have less total light output than their untinted cousins.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

there is a relay kit out there that gives big gains. I can't seem to dig it up right now.

I know AKA_RIZZO on here has done it, so shoot him a PM. It is more or less plug and play, just buy it from the wiring nerds who make them in their spare time.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

awesome!!! so I should just get some silver star ultras then get a relay kit to make them brighter!?

Comment

Get a relay kit first, then upgrade the bulbs.

Also, if your lenses aren't nice and clear, polish them. If they are yellowed, you're not going to get as much light as possible. I'm assuming you have composite headlamps since this is posted in the 4.6 tech area. If you've got glass sealed beams on an 80s model, disregard the polishing suggestion.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i second what pirate says!

And yeah i love my silverstars as well
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Relay conversion and silverstar ultra brights, a little pricey but very nice. Other than that theres always the HID conversion. Thats what I plan to do eventually.
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I noticed a few weeks ago that someone's headlights appeared to be flashing the high beams erratically on and off as they traversed a railroad crossing. I was initially really annoyed, but I then realized that as their car tilted, I found myself alternately above and below the cutoff point for their HID headlamps. Weird stuff.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've experienced that with regular headlights from time to time as well. I think someone's flashing their highs at me, and it turns out to just be them going over some bumps and changing the angles of the lights slightly.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                            X