93 grand marquis junk yard upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 grand marquis junk yard upgrades?

Ok I got a 93 marq I'm looking to upgrade the suspension and rear end asap. I would like a nice stiff ride with a good hot rod stance/rake. I drive the car every day the air struts are shot and the ride feels sloppy as hell I'm used to sport compact cars. I have a set of 18s that will be going on in spring so I'd like to have this stuff done before then. Will all the rear ends swap or only certain ones what years should I look for I'd like to have both tires spinning but don't want to lose the mpg. Thanks guys I will have a lot more questions after this stuff is done.
    93 grand marquis ls = the daily

97 dodge neon GLH-4 = the project

big front brakes from a 98-02 panther....u will need spindles, rotors, hub bearings, caliper brackets, calipers and hoses oh and you need at least 16" wheels for the front.

99-02 police steering box

police sway bars

that's all i can think of for now to harvest from the yards

as far as new stuff goes, the idler and pitman arm are prob shot as with most panthers i work on for the first time

get 4 new shocks.......for the money i like the kyb gr2 shocks for a police interceptor

poly bushings are available for the front suspension, rear suspension and the body to frame mounts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Trac-loc (posi) rear-ends. Mine cost $24 bucks from the junkyard. i had the option for 3.55's on it but i took them off.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

ok

so 1st im getting the shocks and springs like next weekend i want to get the kyb gr2 for the police interceptor but what year do i get. and springs i'd like to get the cargo wagon but will they fit and what else will i need to do the swap to the spring as i got the air spring. thanks

and on the rear end can i just swap the complete rear like axle and all or is it easier to swap just the diff and gear
        Last edited by RAMSMARQ; 02-21-2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Swapping the differential and gears is easier than swapping the axle.
          For the suspension, I don't know. But I'm sure the guys in the Drivetrain/Suspension forum could hook you up.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

x2 on kyb shocks, my 2nd choice would be monroe sensatrac, but the kybs are better imho
            x2 on sway bars

from a performance perspective,if your are good with motors, I would grab a pi intake and some pi cams; the heads arent as important, just swapping cams is pretty easy on a 4.6, if you already have the intake off, I would consider doing heads, but the power is in the intake and cams.
            find a tracloc and if you can find a an aerostar, alot of them come with a 4.10gear, if not, some rangers and even fewer explorers have a 3.73; the rest of the rangers/exploders are mostly 3.55's. note- just make sure your donor vehicle is an 8.8 differential,its pretty obvious just by looking at it
            convert to dual exhaust for sure with some free flowing mufflers. the dynamax super turbos flow pretty good while still keeping the noise down
            Last edited by jayh; 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I was not aware there are 2 different KYB GR2 for the panther. The KYB GR2s I took off the front of my car were nowhere near firm and they were still good. I replaced them with Monroe SS shocks. So far, they're firm but not harsh.

Comment

valving is different on the cop shocks, usually somewhat heavier. from the factory, the cop cars got stiffer shocks to go with the stiffer springs.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  valving is different on the cop shocks, usually somewhat heavier. from the factory, the cop cars got stiffer shocks to go with the stiffer springs.
                  I know the cop cars got siffer shocks/springs. That is what the Monroe SS are for. But I would still like to know the identification marking for the cop GR2. I thought they would be a different colour or something to identify the purpose. I've also read reviews that the GR2 are not what they claim to be in terms of firmness, they seem to be more like slightly better than oem mushy replacements. And if the GR2 that were on my car, are the same ones for cop car, I would not recommend them to people looking for a sporty ride.

Comment

the gas a justs are what you want for a firmer ride......the gr2's are a low cost replacement shock. the fronts for the cop cars have a larger bore.....the cop rears were discontinued, the rear really dont make a difference in shocks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      the gas a justs are what you want for a firmer ride......the gr2's are a low cost replacement shock. the fronts for the cop cars have a larger bore.....the cop rears were discontinued, the rear really dont make a difference in shocks
                      Ok, cause the the ones I took off my car are puny looking. yeah, from the reviews alot of people seem to be happy with the gas-a-just.

Comment

rear doesnt make a difference? what?

Comment

I really like the gas-a-justs on my 97 G.M.

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Munroe Sensi-Trak's work fine on my 95 TC
                            95 Townie under constructionsigpic
                            75 Merc Meteor wagon (rust in peace)
                            81 GM Tudor (flat as a racoon on the Trans-Canada)

Comment

Ok so now I got all new suspension but I want bigger sway bars what's the biggest I can get used

Comment

Working...
                              X