Installing a 1989 Ford Digital AM/FM/Casette radio in a 1983 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a 1989 Ford Digital AM/FM/Casette radio in a 1983 Grand Marquis

I have a radio from a 1988 Grand Marquis. It is digital and i have an analog radio in my grand marquis right now. I was hoping i can somehow make this work in mine. The connections look different except for the antenna. If this can be done can you please tell me how to install this. Heres pics of it

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

I don't think it's possible if you don't have premium sound in the car (and amplifier) to start with. That system relies on an amplifier to send sound to the speakers. You'd be better off going to an aftermarket head unit.

Comment

I have a premium sound system and an amplifier.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
        I have a premium sound system and an amplifier.
        Do you have that crazy amp with the headlight switch thing under the dash for the amp? Are the number of wires the same, and if so, are they the same colors?

Comment

the amplifier is this knob that i pull to turn on under the dash by the steering column. i dont know about the wires were are they located. I believe i have a premium sound system is there a way of telling if i do.

Comment

the amplifier is this knob that i pull to turn on under the dash by the steering column. i dont know about the wires were are they located. I believe i have a premium sound system is there a way of telling if i do.
            The older style ones used that knob. You have premium sound, but I don't think that headunit is compatible.

Comment

actually I think that particular digital unit can be run without the amplifier, but I don't think you're going to be able to use any of your existing stuff. Likely the easiest solution is to get the wiring diagram for the 89 radio, and just wire it directly in. use the existing power feeds, and run new speaker wires out to the individual speakers.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok i wonder if i should look for the digital radio that came of of this year 1983. Heres a pic of an 83 Marquis with the digital electronic radio on it. looks fricken sweet. i wonder if it has to look like that in order to work. It's different from the 1989 radio i posted. It's just going to be a bitch to find one.

Comment

your gonna have to look for that radio in the pic of the 83 if you want plug in play but, not 100% if it will work though.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

do you know anyone who one of those radios just layin around and doesn't want it. doesn't matter if it from a 83 as long as it looks like the one in the pic. I would trade it for the 1988 Ford Radio.

Comment

i have the one from my 85 colony park but, i dont think it would work on your car. i cant remember if it works good either. i think the display is funky. it was the first thing i took out of the car lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

post a pic of what it looks like. and can you see if it works.

Comment

If the connctors are the same they should work. That radio was ran up to 1987 in panthers. I got one in mine. There's two plugs on your radio in your 83, both squarish and gray right? Take a picture of the connectors and I'll see if they're the same as mine.

Comment

ok taking pics will post after i have taken them.

Comment

ok taking pics will post after i have taken them.
                              alrighty.

Comment

Working...
                              X